<i>Hynobius lichenatus</i> (Tohoku Salamander)

You'll get it by becoming a member of this group - the current fee is 10.- Euro (around 12 US$). You'll need to contact Burkhard Thiesmeier (his email adress can be found at http://www.agurodela.de/) to work out some suitable way for sending the money, I guess.

Five months after hatching:

6092.jpg

6093.jpg

6094.jpg

(they're surprisingly good at climbing glass
lol.gif

This is their simple setup:

11050.jpg

11051.jpg

They're lovely little things Tim. Outstanding photos as ever
happy.gif

I'm always amazed at how much Hynobius larvae remind me of Ambystoma larvae in terms of morphology.

Well john I'm a fan of genussses (or do we say 'genera'). It doesn't stop to the larvae .. the adults are so similar in captive husbandry (at least to me).

Just the breeding behavior... that's another question. Did you know that juvenile Hynobius tend to live in holes of worms ... so underground as well (can mole salamanders do better ??). As such my setup with the stones with holes works perfectly for both of them.

Hi Henk,

Yes, you're correct when you say genera. It's nice to know that you've also noticed similarities between Hynobius and Ambystoma. When you say holes of worms, do you mean such as earthworms?

Yes indeed John, I somewhere read in an article I belive it was on H. tokyoensis that the little juveniles hide in the holes of earthworms, which is so similar to what I see when raising them here with my stone-with hole trick.
Did you know that I raised once over 60 juvenile H. Dunni, starting at 3 cm , in plastic tanks of 60 cm. Kept them in there with those stone setup (with plenty of moss too) and took them out about 18 months later when they reached the size of approx 7 to 10 cm... I lost some single ones, but over 90% came out ok.
But then I find H. dunni to be a VERY hardy species ... wouldn't do this with H. tokyoensis, since this species is somewhat fragile overhere with me.

Here are my H.lichenatus now:

13022.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back