Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I need Help :(

teraristic

Reaction score
Hi every one,
I can't say that I'm new to the forum but haven been posting replays.I want to change that.The forum is the best I have ever seen and I really like spending some of my free time here :)

So,here is the problem.On a holiday in Romania in a pet shop I both a 2 little newts.The lady in the shop told me they were "yellow-belly wets" but I think they are Triturus dobrigicus .They are about 3-4 sm. and their throat is yellow whit no spots.In a cople of days I will post pictures.

And the other thing am very worried about is they haven been eating in almost a week :(
Can you people help me please :(

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m afraid we are going to need a picture or a more detailed description.
3-4 cm is a VERY small size for a T.dobrogicus juvenile, i´m going to guess you have a different species.

What are you feeding them? Make sure the housing conditions are EXCELLENT and offer a variety of live foods.

teraristic

Reaction score
Well i tried feeding them with very small earthworms,but it didn't work.Today I am going make them a small aquaticterrarium.What temperature is best for them and what should I do to make them eat :(

Tonight i will post pictures of them..

teraristic

Reaction score
I'm sorry for the bad quality of the pictures.

I hope you can ID them.But the most important thing now to feed them.I have got them some very small fish ( 0,5-1,0 sm.).Can you give me an advise of what other food should I try.And also their aquaticterrarium is almost ready..

Thanks for everything :)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely not T.dobrogicus, but i´m not at all sure of the species..maybe T.carnifex??
Try to take a picture from the side and back.
Fish are not a suitable food for them, don´t even try. Earthworms are the best, so keep trying. Also, waxworms are excellent for getting picky newts to eat.

If they are Triturus (i can´t decide if i think it´s what they are or not...o_O), i would have guessed they would be illegal in Romania unless perhaps adequate documents stating they are captive-bred are provided, in which case you would have definitely known the species.
Check the laws in your own country.

teraristic

Reaction score
In my country its illegal to keep newt that are found in Bulgaria.But if it isn't one of those species Then I think its ok to keep them.Thanks for the Help ;)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That is usually the case, but i would ask the authorities just to be sure. Each country has its own regulations (ones more restrictive than others) and they even vary among territories, so it´s worth inquiring and knowing for sure.

Jake

Reaction score
That is definitely some sort of Triturus.

What do you suppose teraristic should do with the new newts if the law doesn't allow keeping them? Should they be euthanized because the pet store broke the law? I'm sure the authorities aren't looking to arrest people who unintentionally purchase illegal animals.

Also, with a title like "I need Help :("...shouldn't this thread have been moved by a moderator to the "Newt and Salamander Help" section and not the "Advanced Newt & Salamander Topics" section??

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
It looks like a Lissotriton vulgaris spp. to me.... Defenetly not triturus. Look slender and not matching belly. that one is densely spotted. Neither cristatus carnifex even less or dobrogicus...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1