Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

<i>Pachyhynobius</i> or <i>Hynobius</i>?

K

kenneth

Does anyone, who has the "spotted" Pachyhynobius, happen to have a dead specimen? According to the paper sited by HouMian, it looks like the easiest way to tell P.shangchengensis from Hynobius yunanicus, or any other Hynobius, is from their vomerine teeth. The ones I am working with are very fat and healthy and I don't know if it is posible to check the vomerine teeth without breaking a jaw.}

E

erik

Kenneth,

I "had" some of the spotted ones. I say "had" because they eventually lose their spots and become regular old Pachyhynobius. The process of losing the spots took about a year. I think the spotting is just the juvenile coloration and the original description of Pachyhynobius mentions this.

I can't comment much on Hynobius yunanicus because I know almost nothing about them, but the spotted specimens I had at least turned out to be juvenile Pachyhynobius. I do seem to remember something about H.yunanicus being sympatric with Pachyhynobius which makes me wonder about the validity of the species....?????

Sorry I don't have any dead ones to check vomerine teeth. They are incredibly hardy animals
happy.gif

H

houmian

Erik£¬maybe you are right, the newly analyse of Gene result show us this two guy's kindred is nearly.The article is writing, wish publish in next year.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1