<i>Pachyhynobius shangchengensis</i> in U.S.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
I've seen recent listings of Pachyhynobius shangchengensis in the U.S. I was curious if any of you have picked up any of the recent imports and what your experience has been with them. I traded for 2 at the Havre De Grace, Md. reptile show. They seem to be aggressive eaters and possibly a little aggressive to each other. I'm interested in getting a couple more to play with but would like to keep them in a colony. Are they to aggressive to keep as a group?

They're the most agressive species I have kept so far. Even more aggressive than Pachytritons and Paramesotritons (including deloustali). I've seen lots of nasty wounds from bites so you better be careful when keeping them in a group.

Still, doesn't the aggression decrease once the density increases beyond a certain point? That was my understanding. At least this seems to be the case with those in stock in the wholesale trade. They are kept too densely to become territorial, it seems. Not that this is any way to keep them in captivity over the long term.

My 2 are a little nippy. I was thinking about setting up a trio with lots of hiding places and have a heavy feeding schedule. If they get to nasty they will go outside in a barrel for awhile.

I have been keeping them for around 6 months now. I imported a group from China myself. In high densities they are peaceful, but since I want to make an decent effort to breed them I set them up in a large tank with a lot of hiding places.As mentioned already,males will fight brutally with some very serious wounds as a result. Also during feeding they will absolutely tear each other limb from limb (literally). I have seen them "de-leg" each other in just a few seconds(spinning like a crocodile). I would keep males separate and try to keep them apart at feeding time.

I picked up a few more today. What do you think the minimum temperature for them is? I'm thinking of putting a nice pair outside in a barrel in a shaded area. I think they should be fine out their for a couple months. Their is a little ice on top of the water now.

Not sure, but mine were still eating well at 10C/50F this winter.

One pair is now out in the cold. I have plenty in the house to play with too.

Maybe. The ones in the barrel are o.k. They are at about 40F I'm treating a few bites on some of the ones in the basement. I think I have at least 3 pairs set up. As the others heal I'll try pairing them up. The wholesaler I got them from is fairly knowledgeable. He told me the exporter says it is their breeding season. I have high hopes for the ones outside.

I still can't understand what people find attractive about aggressive salamanders like these -- attractive enough to want to keep this species over other species, that is.

Maybe I'm missing something?
uhoh.gif

Any pictures?

(Message edited by TJ on March 20, 2006)

tim,
the aggression is a side issue not related to their attraction. they are cool and rare sals, its unfortunate that their nature doesnt allow more people to attempt keeping enough of them to make CB a possibility. i personally find each species interesting, and im sure these have some species specific attributes that would interest keepers. does anyone know if these have the hynobid style egg sacs?

They are something different. The males are interesting with those big heads. I like to do different breeding projects for some variety. I do question if I'll have success rearing the young. If they are as aggressive as the adults it will be a challenge. I'm hoping I'll have a pair or two that "get along". I havn't mastered my camera but do plan to eventually take and post pictures.

To demonstrate the nice character of these animals: the picture shows a female living happily together with the male for more than 4 years until her hubby decided it was over... the wounds healed very well by the way but the newts are kept separate unfortunately.

56666.jpg

<font size="-2"><font color="ff0000">MOD message: I added a space between the photo and the text -- TJ</font></font>

(Message edited by TJ on May 23, 2006)

Owwwww. A picture paints a thousand words. Aggressive indeed.

this explains why caudates cant afford to give up the gift of limb regeneration!

The Pachyhonobius are doing o.k. I have 1 healthy pair inside in a 29 gallon tank. 2 wounded females inside in 10 gallon tanks. 1 pair and a trio outside in 2 20 gallon half barrels. That's a lot more space than I normally use for 9 salamanders. I think I'll try keeping the trio outside all year and see what happens. It looks like one pair is going to get evicted. I think I know where it's going.

Has anybody had captive breeding with these? I'm guessing the larvae all grab each other by the tail and keep eating till nothing is left.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back