Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ID help: Ambystoma maculatum (spotted salamander) larvae?

brookeashley

Reaction score
I fed the freeze fried bloodworms and then one of the salamander larva started floating and i think eating the freeze dried bloodworms caused them to ingest air bc the food floated.. the one that started to float died :( i am going to stick to feeding the lil brine shrimp for now instead

Nursery Human

Reaction score
haven't quite figured out the feeding. I am hoping my pond water will have what they need. I collect it and replace half the water every couple days.
added pieces of duckweed and guppy grass in the jar to help with the o2 nitrate balance.

boiled some lettuce for the frog tadpoles, excited to see if they like it.

thanks or the info, looking into the brine shrimp

brookeashley

Reaction score
haven't quite figured out the feeding. I am hoping my pond water will have what they need. I collect it and replace half the water every couple days.
added pieces of duckweed and guppy grass in the jar to help with the o2 nitrate balance.

boiled some lettuce for the frog tadpoles, excited to see if they like it.

thanks or the info, looking into the brine shrimp
I got the brine shrimp on amazon 👍🏻 we boil lettuce for the tads too they seem to like it

Nursery Human

Reaction score
I got the brine shrimp on amazon 👍🏻 we boil lettuce for the tads too they seem to like it
Tnanks! Brine shrimp is working well. I also found some daphnia in the pool i found the eggs in. The babies are growing quick. Looks like i have 6. They may be Tigers. Not sure yet but, its exciting. How are your littles progressing?

Attachments

• 44AB7DE4-E7D8-4782-B6B8-B5E212D9321E.jpeg
    44AB7DE4-E7D8-4782-B6B8-B5E212D9321E.jpeg
    955.9 KB · Views: 97
  • C993F12D-9794-41ED-8938-9CDFA410FFDA.jpeg
    C993F12D-9794-41ED-8938-9CDFA410FFDA.jpeg
    841.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 696F77E0-BDC5-427C-99CE-64938A0B637F.jpeg
    696F77E0-BDC5-427C-99CE-64938A0B637F.jpeg
    796.2 KB · Views: 78

brookeashley

Reaction score
Tnanks! Brine shrimp is working well. I also found some daphnia in the pool i found the eggs in. The babies are growing quick. Looks like i have 6. They may be Tigers. Not sure yet but, its exciting. How are your littles progressing?
Mine are still alive so I guess theyre doing good lol?! Honestly I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing... idk how much or often to feed them.. I got the freeze dried bloodworms which have killed three so I stopped feeding it.. I have way too many of these things.. probably 200... theyre all together in a big tub and idk if i should be changing their water but I do maybe once a week and use well water.. theyre growing i guess but slowly so i worry.. but maybe im just impatient.. they have little cute arms with fingers and cute lil elbows. I love them, I hope they survive so I can release them. Ive cut some leaves off my pothos plants to grow roots in water so I can put in there with them.. not sure what else to do any feeding/water care advice welcome

brookeashley

Reaction score
Will add that the tadpoles are doing great theyre getting so big and they eat/poop like crazy..less worried about them. The salamanders dont eat barely at all though it seems? I put brine shrimp in and you cant tell they ate any of it.. maybe im iust putting in too much idk

Nursery Human

Reaction score
Mine are still alive so I guess theyre doing good lol?! Honestly I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing... idk how much or often to feed them.. I got the freeze dried bloodworms which have killed three so I stopped feeding it.. I have way too many of these things.. probably 200... theyre all together in a big tub and idk if i should be changing their water but I do maybe once a week and use well water.. theyre growing i guess but slowly so i worry.. but maybe im just impatient.. they have little cute arms with fingers and cute lil elbows. I love them, I hope they survive so I can release them. Ive cut some leaves off my pothos plants to grow roots in water so I can put in there with them.. not sure what else to do any feeding/water care advice welcome
200? 😳!! I would get some water plants. I use duckweed and the pretty moss that grows in creeks. Ad those and snails. This combo works well for me to keep the water clean. possibly keeping them in separate containers in smaller groups could help maintain that many. How big is your current container?

brookeashley

Reaction score
200? 😳!! I would get some water plants. I use duckweed and the pretty moss that grows in creeks. Ad those and snails. This combo works well for me to keep the water clean. possibly keeping them in separate containers in smaller groups could help maintain that many. How big is your current container?
Maybe 1ft by 2ft. Some of them are in a separate 10gal aquarium tank but most in the tub. 200 might be an exaggeration but we saved a couple giant clumps of eggs. Theres too many to count for sure. I have 3 kids (one is a baby) so going outside searching for plants and snails is kinda hard.. can i buy duckweed somewhere? And snails? We live in the middle of nowhere too so i have to drive an hour to go to stores.. we saved them unexpectedly so wasnt really prepared for this

Nursery Human

Reaction score
Maybe 1ft by 2ft. Some of them are in a separate 10gal aquarium tank but most in the tub. 200 might be an exaggeration but we saved a couple giant clumps of eggs. Theres too many to count for sure. I have 3 kids (one is a baby) so going outside searching for plants and snails is kinda hard.. can i buy duckweed somewhere? And snails? We live in the middle of nowhere too so i have to drive an hour to go to stores.. we saved them unexpectedly so wasnt really prepared for this
Thats a ton. Good on ya wanting to save them.

Guppy Grass (1 Handful) FedEx 2Day Shipping https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KLK4K5L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_N86RT9ZT78T2HBA3CZR3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this from amazon and it seems to do a good job making oxygen. You may be able to find some duckweed online or at a nearby pond.

Nursery Human

Reaction score

Attachments

• B6A57BBE-8C17-4242-932E-CC34620375D6.jpeg
    B6A57BBE-8C17-4242-932E-CC34620375D6.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 67
  • 69FDDD84-A277-4AE5-B247-18CF6CA48DC4.jpeg
    69FDDD84-A277-4AE5-B247-18CF6CA48DC4.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 70
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1