Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Idaho giant salamander info

C

colton

I live in Montana and about two years ago I was walking through a stream and I went over to look at a dead fish and all the sudden a huge neotonic salamander swam from under it and me and my brother almost caught but it swam under a huge rock and we could't get it but we found some little larvae and around it but we didn't take any but we went back there last summer and saw some more larvas but no adults can someone give me some info on this type of salamander

C

colton

Thanks for the good info. To tell you the truth the larva and the adult acually were right outside the Montana border leading in Idaho but I didn't take any last summer but if I research and get info on how you take care of them and your aloud to collect them from Idaho I might get one next summer. if so i'll post some pics

C

colton

And is there any other place to get Idaho giant salamanders other than from the wild.

R

russ

Don't know the details on their preferred habitat, I suspect it's similar to the other species. There is no one working with this species as far as I know, so WC specimens are probably the only source. I did a little poking around west of Missoula on the Idaho side of the border once, but didn't see anything.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!