ideal filter set up?

evilaxies

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey gang!

just need a bit of help with the filter set up in my tank. Currently i have a Hailea hl-bt400 which cycles 200lt p/h. My concern is that the water doesn't seem to be moving around too much, so the top seems to have a bit of floaty dust and stuff. I am keen to make sure the filter doesn't stress my axies, but at the same time i want to now that the water is being filtered nicely, etc. the usual concenrs i suppose. Anyway, my tank is 2ft x 1ft x 18" high and has approx. 45-50 lt water. I have two axies in there. Can anyone suggest the ideal filter set up for axies in a tank this size?

I'd add a small airstone to one side of the tank. This will help agitate the surface a bit, reducing that 'film', and will help circulate water around.

Hi, there are many many filter types and styles available, "the best" is therefore subjective although there are better ones and worse ones.

Every brand will have a flow rate somewhere on the packaging it is a matter of law in most countries. just match the flow rate to your tank size and you should be ok. Waterfall filters are probably one of the simplest and easiest to setup but the down side is the water flow and subsequent current.

Good Luck

Last edited:
I looked up a photo of your filter, and it appears that you can get a spraybar attachment for it. If you used a spraybar, it would help disperse the flow... AND (if you use it above the surface of the water) prevent the dust/scum layer from forming... AND increase evaporation, which might lower the temperature in your water a tad. I don't think you need a different filter, you just need to use the spraybar and move it above the surface.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back