ideas to darken tank?

pinksmog

Reaction score
Country
United States
hey all!

i have two lesser sirens (fully aquatic salamanders that are generally nocturnal) who are ready to move to the big tank. problem is, the tank is in a location that is going to be subject to much more light than what i think is best to keep them low stressed and healthy. unfortunately, i am unable to move the tank elsewhere. up until now, they’ve lived it in a way that i could closest mimicked their natural environment. because of this, they’re extremely skittish. i’d like to decrease the light that they will be exposed to while also trying to slowly get to a point they won’t freak out about everything like my other ones.

obviously, they will have hides and i NEVER use aquarium lights, but they will be subject to natural light and artificial light from the adjacent rooms. i don’t want to throw blankets on them or anything like that, but if anyone has any ideas how to filter the light better or any hides/setups that are particularly helpful please let me know!

thanks in advanced!
sending y’all good vibes!

ps: if it becomes too much of a problem and they stress out, i will figure something out to move them :)

Last edited:
maybe you can just heavily plant/decor the tank with tall decors. That way there will be shade in the tank

You could add aquarium backing to three sides of the tank, chose a color/ photo option you like and it can enhance the total look too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back