Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

If it doesn't dry up, is it a "vernal" pool?

Caudataphile

Reaction score
A couple years ago I heard that vernal pools are good for salamanders. So in my woods I dug a hole, 2 ft deep in the center, put a 10' x 13 ' liner, filled it with water, and now have salamander larvae.
A question of terminology- If I don't let it dry up in the summer, is it still a vernal pool, or should I call it a "woodland " pool?

Skdecoteau

Reaction score
That's a good question. My understanding is that for something to be considered a vernal pool, it needs to fill up long enough for amphibian species to reproduce but not long enough for fish to become established.

The lack of fish is what makes them key for amphibians as fish would likely eat the amphibian eggs and larvae.

Normally, a vernal would fill up with snow and ice melt in the spring or after heavy rains but dry out in the hottest part of summer so that fish couldn't become established. I think it can also refill in the fall and still be considered a vernal pool.

It's cool that you've built one. My son, who is only 8!, really wants to build one on our property as well so that frogs and salamanders have a place to reproduce near our house. So, I might have looked into it a little bit. 😉

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1