I'm going bare bottoms from now on!

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well yay. And no, I'm not talking about a new wardrobe philosophy :blush:

I switched the alpies to bare-bottom and I must say, I'm delighted at the ease of cleaning and feeding. The newt folks don't seem to care one way or another as long as there's someplace to sit and hide and of course food to hunt.

My inner aesthete balked at this idea for a long time, but I think my inner cleaning lady has won the day...:wacko:

:smile:

Attachments

• IMG_5320.jpg
    IMG_5320.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 2,566
all my tanks are bare bottom. I break it up a little with a few glass beads or some pretty rocks, but just scattered, not a layer.

bare bottoms are great for cleaning but a flower pot and a few scattered smooth stones help for bacteria growth and decoration and hides.

The plant in the foreground is java fern (Microsorum pteropus).

The plant in the background is Borneo fern (Trichomanes javanicum). The plant actually doesn't grow well, if at all, fully submereged. However, it does do extremely well in a terrarium or at the waters edge of a semi-aquatic setup.

thanks Justin - I've been wondering about that fern. I have them on roots now partially out of the water. They dry out real fast though unless the humidity is very high....I do fear it might be too cold for them in my newt tank - 55 F.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back