Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I'm really worried...Anybody know what this is?

D

danielle

I have 5 newts (3 Chinese firebelly and 2 Japanese firebelly)in a 55 gallon tank. I've had them for almost 5 years now and they've been very happy and healthy. Sometimes, however, I notice a white foam that appears on top of the water usually right around the filter after I feed them (bloodworms)then it goes away in a couple hours. Someone once told me it had something so do with mating but I have no idea if that is a valid explaination.

I didn't pay too much attention until tonight when I noticed ALOT of foam...has anyone experienced this? I'm worried that something is really wrong with their water.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Danielle

J

john

Are these frozen bloodworms? The body cavity of frozen bloodworms is ruptured during the freezing process so it is probably those fluids acting as surfactants so you get bubbles.

Are you carrying out regular partial water changes?

D

danielle

Thank you sooo much and yes, they are frozen..and I just switched to a new brand.

I replace about 10% of the water every other week. Maybe I should do this more frequently? Also, I think I may be feeding them too much. Which can cause higher levels of protein. But my 2 HUGE females always seem hungry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!