I'm The Crazy Fish Person.

The Banana

Reaction score
Country
Australia
True/funny/shocking story that happened to me the other week -
I was talking to somebody about my axolotls. He didn't know what they were, so I was trying to explain.
He didn't know what a Mexican Walking fish was (as most know them by that common name). So anyway, I said.. salamander.
"What's a salamander?" He asked. After a little explanation, he looked at me as if I were speaking another language. No, they were not fish, nor lizards.
Amphibians I moved onto.
"What's an amphibian?" He asked.
Trying to hide my shock... frogs and toads are amphibians, they are in the same class.
Soooo... you keep frog-lizard-fish things? Or are they lizard looking frogs?
This guy was dead serious. I think he just needed acquainting with animals.. badly. He then turned off and walked away, muttering 'crazy fish person'. :dizzy:

If that conversation took to long you might as well said "google that ****" :p

Haha, I think it took about 5mins.

Well I haven't talked to him since, I'm SURE I saw him sidestep away the other day.
Don't want to talk to the Crazy Fish Person now!!

LOL. Go crazy fish person!

I can almost excuse an Aussie for this, since there are no native salamanders there. But I've had to explain to Americans what a salamander (or an amphibian) is on several occasions. Some people just have no clue about animals at all. Maybe they never went to the zoo as a child.

Well my 2 & 4 year old are well educated in amphibians owning Axolotls and Newts, I like to bring my children up with "different" pets lol!!! Have let the side down by recently buying some guinea pigs but I do also feel stroking a pet is important for a child and also feeding it and dont think my axies or newts would appreciate petting and I dont want my kids feeding them worms quite yet lol!

Lol reading this reminds me of the day I actually had to go to school. Not really a normal school day but we had a.. 'school bbq' just for fun.
Instead of going to the bbq I decided to visit the 'reptile store' because the guy of the store said he had some albino axies.
He did had axies and I bought one (it was way too pricy but oh well, it was a cutie).

But then... I realized I was actually in the mood to go to the bbq for about 15 minutes to say hi and 'maybe eat a little hamburger before leaving again'. I did, and I was holding the little tub with my axie in it in my hands all the time.

Everybody got pretty curious and I had to answer the question "What's that creature?" about 34234 times and now... months and months later when I walk through the halls at school people say: "Hey, you're the girl with that funny little lizard thing".

I'm famous, yay.

Haha... reminds me of that time I brought my Sonriente, dad had to pop into Bunnings (Aussie hardware store), and I was carrying my marshmellow the whole time.

There were lots of curious people. A few 'fish with legs' stories.. and couple 'underwater lizard' stories... one person literally screamed her head off and ran away (can't help but laugh at that).

Axolotls always make hardware trips fun.

LOL. And because we had that bbq thing people seriously asked me if I was going to eat that 'thing' I brought with me. :')
Poor axie.

I live in a state where even most biologists wouldn't know a newt from a fish if one crawled up their shirt and sat on their nose.

Well my 2 & 4 year old are well educated in amphibians owning Axolotls and Newts, I like to bring my children up with "different" pets lol!!! Have let the side down by recently buying some guinea pigs but I do also feel stroking a pet is important for a child and also feeding it and dont think my axies or newts would appreciate petting and I dont want my kids feeding them worms quite yet lol!

I love watching my kids with the pets we have, they both feed the axies, even the 4 year old is getting good at aiming food into mouths.

Things people said when they first saw our axolotls:

- Look, a fish with legs.
- I didn't know lizards could live under water.
- Are those the creatures that can grow new bodies if you cut off their heads? (serious)
- Did they burst out of your stomach? (referring to "Alien")
- What's wrong with having a dog?
- Are they poisonous?

Things people said when they first saw our axolotls:

- Look, a fish with legs.
- I didn't know lizards could live under water.
- Are those the creatures that can grow new bodies if you cut off their heads? (serious)
- Did they burst out of your stomach? (referring to "Alien")
- What's wrong with having a dog?
- Are they poisonous?

Haha, I've had all of those ones!
Lucky I have seen Alien.. um.. not sure what I would have done if I didn't know where it came from! :rolleyes:
One of my friend's once asked me if I ever tried chopping of their hand, to watch it grow back! I just said 'no'.. but they changed the subject really quickly. Guess my horrified expression said it all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back