Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Impending Mega-Upgrade to Forum

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I wanted to update everyone on this matter. We have known for over 2 years that we would eventually be forced into upgrading the forum software to vbulletin 4 (we are currently using vb3). This is because the software maker was bought by another company and they basically took vb3 out into the woods, and vb3 didn't come back (yes, a gun shot was heard). So they've engineered the situation so that we have little choice but to upgrade to vb4.

It's expensive, but for us that's not an issue because we have a healthy donations record - thank you. There are a few things you should know though:

• Just thinking about this gives me a severe headache. It's a lot of work and I've tried to put it off for 2 years but the upgrade is needed more and more as time goes by (see later points). You don't need to worry much about my headache though.
  • The look of the forum will change a little. I'm working on keeping this to a minimum, but I can at least say that some of the menu options will be different.
  • You will have near-seemless social network integration with the site. That includes facebook (you can log in with facebook), twitter, and other strangely-named things. This is sorely needed before Caudata.org goes the way of Netscape, Altavista, and Yahoo. Alright, so Yahoo isn't dead yet, but they're picking out a headstone as we speak. And I would sell that stock in RIM if I were you. Where was I...
  • We may be able to get a caudata.org-based chat system up again. Not being able to do this anymore with vb3 is a big motivator to upgrade to vb4.
  • Assorted other benefits that are escaping my brain at the moment but I know they exist!
  • Downside - there will be a large part of a day where you won't be able to do much on the site.
  • Another downside - we will likely come back with slightly less functionality for a day or two until I've figured out how to make all of the old conveniences work on the new system.
We'll keep you up to date as progress is made.

millerj76

Reaction score
Sorry for your headache, but thanks for your hard work to keep improving the site, i'm sure i speak for many, if it was not for this site and the many experts and experienced members, then maybe a few of us would still be fishkeepers. :) Thanks.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's okay, John. You can take the forum from us for a day; we're not hooked. Just nevermind the eye-twitching, nervous shakes, and constant refreshing.

AngieD

Reaction score
Hehe, it seems that most of my online life is attached to my facebook account :)

lea

Reaction score
I guess I will have to do work on those day. Geee I dont know if I can cope:D.
Thanks John for all your hard work

frogman

Reaction score
I think i can survive one day of no caudata...........I think i can............I think i can.........This is pointless. Anyone know CPR? I might need it.

Jenste

Reaction score
Caudata is what gets me through the work day!

I have a job where I literally cannot leave my desk with out coverage *in case* something urgent comes across my screen. Also, no books/newpapers/magazines, word searches, anything at our desk that will distract our eyes from our computer screen... So having a small window of Caudata open eases the pain of not being able to move.

Hopefully the changes will not effect how Caudata miraculously gets through my company's internet blocks....FrogForum is blocked...I don't know what I would do if I lost Caudata!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
FrogForum is blocked...I don't know what I would do if I lost Caudata!
It's odd that frogforum is blocked. Does you company's firewall say why? I'm actually considering moving frogforum off its current provider to the caudata.org provider because I am in love with our new provider (best I've ever dealt with). However, if frogforum is being blocked because it is frogforum, rather than because it is on an unapproved IP address, then moving it won't make any difference to you Jen.

Axolotlmorphios

Reaction score
Arghhhh! Just when I am finally getting used to it :/ Well it's inevitable so go ahead do your stuff and if I can help, let me know.
Best regards,
Paul, Goldilocks, Lucy and 20 random names of hatch-lings

amphybious

Reaction score
If the social networking integration does indeed come to pass, I assume that it will be optional?
Im just getting rather sick of many sites seeming to "Non forcibly force" people to integrate them, and I personally think it would be more of an annoyance, as I believe that the forums and information on this site is extremely helpful, and would be disappointed to see it fall because of connecting with social networking sites....
Might just be my opinion though....

Linus

Reaction score
On any forum software I've seen, the "Connect with FB" option is just that, an option. I'm sure we'll have the freedom to choose.

amphybious

Reaction score
I know that, sorry if my post sounded a bit intense... :/
I simply meant that with a lot of site I have visited, a fair bit of their content or applications have needed a "facebook verification" or some social network input.
I dont know, maybe New Zealand websites have a different template to many american ones?
Sorry if I sound a bit full of it....
Im not trying to...

arianja

Reaction score
I hope it goes well and it's a good thing you choose to stick to this look, i have seen websites who change to much too fast just die somehow.
I'm sure it will be great though :happy:

AngieD

Reaction score
I don't think the website will 'die', there are far too many of us relying on this site!

Any idea when the upgrade will happen?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!