In Progress: Cave or long tailed salamanders???

BMac

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, new here!

I have always been interested in building miniature terrains and I have started building a subterranean cave system in a vertical 24x18x32 tank. After a lot of research on critters I could keep in the environment in building, I discovered cave salamanders and long tailed salamanders. It seems like they would thrive in a primarily rocky tank with a lot of wet crevaces and places to climb.

I am building a water fall as well have piping for a fogger. I should be able to maintain the proper temperature and humidity requirements, but still need to do more research. The bottom of the tank is about 40% water that will be about 4-5” deep. I have lots of different routes for them to climb up and down all the vertical levels.

As I am nearing the point of no return in terms of habitat style, I wanted to see if anyone can chime in and let me know if you see anything missing that I need to incorporate for these guys? If this is a good enclosure for them, how many would I be able to fit in here? I’m hoping atleast 3.

Also, if anyone has updated info on where I can find captive bred cave salamanders that would be awesome. I have found literally 2 sources of CB online with limited stock. I don’t want to purchase them until I have the tank all ready, but I’m hoping I can snag some when the time comes.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_6013.jpeg
    IMG_6013.jpeg
    818.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6011.jpeg
    IMG_6011.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6015.jpeg
    IMG_6015.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
General chit-chat