Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Inch and a half larvae with arm fungus

briiiima

Reaction score
1524434_10203041723826831_839421391_o.jpg

893991_10203041724026836_1548521667_o.jpg

1780002_10203041723986835_339472782_o.jpg

I'm new here, but I've got a problem and thought it would be best to post here.
I recently ordered this little guy from a breeder, and he looked fine the first day. today being the second day, I came home after work this morning (third shift) and I found this. I know salt baths are generally what to do when your axolotl has fungus, but I'm not sure what to do just because this guy is so small. this fungus seems to be very attached to his legs. other fungus I've dealt with with my adult axolotls seemed to just brush off. please help! any input to how to help this little guy out is welcome!

auntiejude

Reaction score
Yes, salt baths are needed here, maybe a little weaker and shorter for such a small axie.

E

Elise

Almond leaves are an alternate treatment and the one I generally use.

Ian, do you mind answering some questions on your experience with almond leaves?
How many leaves per liter do you use for a typical treatment?
Would that dose change for a developed case of infection like the one illustrated above?
When you treat with almond leaves you do prefer to add it to their normal enclosure or isolate them for treatment?
Do you ever use almond leaves for preventative care?

E

Elise

An opportunistic infection like this can happen with stress and a reduced immune system from shipping (temperature, water turbulence, shipped in tank water, waste, etc), along with issues in the new environment also being a possibility.

Last edited:

auntiejude

Reaction score
Would that dose change for a developed case of infection like the one illustrated above?
When you treat with almond leaves you do prefer to add it to their normal enclosure or isolate them for treatment?
I would use 1 leaf in a tub with the axie isolated. The axie in question here is very small, so the concentration woud be quite strong in a smallish tub for him.
I have used almond leaves to treat a tank to prevent fungus, like a tea bath, the recommendation is 1 leaf per 50L.
I'm sure Ian will share his expereinces too.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Ian, do you mind answering some questions on your experience with almond leaves?
I generally isolate an axolotl with fungus in a small tank or tub and use a small almond leaf or part of a large one, enough to discolour the water. The worse the infection the more leaf I use, I also use undechlorinated water, if the infection is mild that is all I use. It is important that good water quality is maintained so I generally don't feed the axolotl heavily if its body condition is good and only worms as pellets wreck the water.
The axolotl in this thread has quite a severe fungal attack, I would use a very strong solution to treat it. If it was an adult I would salt bathe it but I don't like using that treatment on juvies

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!