Increase the suction of a sponge filter?

jasper408

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jasper
What methods are there to increase the suction power of a sponge filter, without increasing the air outputted or by using a power head? Essentially, I would like to optimize the mechanical filtration aspect of the filter without overly increasing surface agitation.

I have two possible solutions, but I am unsure if the physics deem it effective.

1. Placing an air stone into the unit.
2. Decreasing the surface area of sponge, by means of cutting in half

It is hard testing this, so I was hoping a knowledgeable member could enlighten me. I am already using the lift tube and am looking for optimization- not a different filter. Any other solutions would also be appreciated!

Thanks. :eek:

What methods are there to increase the suction power of a sponge filter, without increasing the air outputted or by using a power head? Essentially, I would like to optimize the mechanical filtration aspect of the filter without overly increasing surface agitation.

I have two possible solutions, but I am unsure if the physics deem it effective.

1. Placing an air stone into the unit.
2. Decreasing the surface area of sponge, by means of cutting in half

It is hard testing this, so I was hoping a knowledgeable member could enlighten me. I am already using the lift tube and am looking for optimization- not a different filter. Any other solutions would also be appreciated!

Thanks. :eek:

Only valid method is to increase airflow.

It sounds to me like you are far too dependant on a sponge filter and are expecting it to do more work than it is designed for. Perhaps it would be wiser to upgrade to a different filtration system and perhaps increase the elbow work. Sponge filters have their limits and no filter or tank is maintenance free.

Personally, unless I have eggs going, I don't bother with any sponge based filters. they are more trouble than they are worth. In fact I find sponge based media in general to be a waste of money and effort.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do but I'd say reducing the sponge size is not a good idea because it will decrease the ability of the filter to hold debris and it will also reduce the biological filtration. I use Sera sponge filters and where it seems that the outflow creates too much current, I pull it up above the water surface and direct it into the side of the tank or something underneath it.

Only valid method is to increase airflow.

It sounds to me like you are far too dependant on a sponge filter and are expecting it to do more work than it is designed for. Perhaps it would be wiser to upgrade to a different filtration system and perhaps increase the elbow work. Sponge filters have their limits and no filter or tank is maintenance free.

Personally, unless I have eggs going, I don't bother with any sponge based filters. they are more trouble than they are worth. In fact I find sponge based media in general to be a waste of money and effort.

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't say that the sponge filter isn't working as intended or is not acceptable. It has been an excellent addition to my air stone. There just has to be some other way to optimize a sponge filter.

As for cutting the surface area in half, I was hoping that it would suck in the same amount of water through a smaller area, therefore increasing the suction. I am not worried about biological filtration, because it is heavily planted as well.

AW: Re: Increase the suction of a sponge filter?

I use different sponge-filter and the best result I achieved with the largest share of foam - asellus aquaticus and gammarus could very well survive there, until they were eaten ultimately,

Attachments

• 23.Juli2012 006 (Groß).jpg
    23.Juli2012 006 (Groß).jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 2,300
  • Blubberfilter 20.07.2012 009 (Groß).jpg
    Blubberfilter 20.07.2012 009 (Groß).jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 612
  • Blubberfilter 20.07.2012 010 (Groß).jpg
    Blubberfilter 20.07.2012 010 (Groß).jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 1,945
  • Blubberfilter 20.07.2012 011 (Groß).jpg
    Blubberfilter 20.07.2012 011 (Groß).jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 609
  • Blubberfilter 20.07.2012 012 (Groß).jpg
    Blubberfilter 20.07.2012 012 (Groß).jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 576
  • sponge filter - Schwammfilter 001 (Groß).jpg
    sponge filter - Schwammfilter 001 (Groß).jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 4,124
I use sponge filters by lees and a good sized air pump and they work fine. It takes a few weeks for the filter to culture bacteria, but then after that I have crystal clear water. I run 4 filters plus my BS hatcheries off one pump, maybe you just need a bigger pump

Thanks. The pictures were interesting to see. The larger surface area is strange though. I know it can collect more without clogging and hosts a greater colony of bacteria, but I would think the suction would be less, considering that the energy to suction does not change, but has been dispersed by the larger surface area.

I am not having filtration problems. I just want to know if there are methods to increase the mechanical filtration without overly increasing surface agitation by getting a more powerful pump.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back