Infusoria Culturing

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
I am certain a few of you will get a good laugh from this.

I am firing up some infusoria cultures today. My straw and timothy hay went moldy on me, so I will use the lettuce method.

What type of lettuce do you use? I have a "no iceberg lettuce" rule here at the house, but I do have kale, spinach, and romaine on hand. Are any/all of these suitable? Or should I run over and get the iceberg?

I haven't noticed a difference in the types of lettuce versus yield, just whatever vegetable matter you have on hand will do. I've used grass, boiled potatoes, lettuce, and even turnips (which seemed to grow it the quickest).

Out of curosity, just what exactly are you planning on feeding this to?

It is for an ongoing hydra experiment I have been working on for a few months now.

If I take aquarium greenwater and put in 32 oz containers and add puree spinach and lettuce is that enought to get a culture going? How long will it take for the culture to get cranking? I am thinkinging I need the infusoria in the next 3-4 days....My ADFs lade eggs unexpectedly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back