Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Injured Bullfrog and Piebald Green Frog?

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
So the other day I was on the road by my house, herding frogs across the street and such and I found some frogs. Two of which were hit but survived. One was just stunned and was released yesterday after recovering. The other one had a blood filled eye, and a sprained/strained leg. Its not broken because he can still move the whole thing. The eye has drained of the blood mostly but it looks like the eye is swollen (is that possible?) or popped out a bit. I think its probably swollen because the whole eye looks bigger than the other from above. He's very sluggish. The third frog I took was this piebald looking one. I'm not sure how else to describe him. Any ideas on how to treat the injured one and what the strange one is? The strange one is in a bit of a shadow because otherwise the flash drowned out his strange gold flecks.

Attachments

• DSC_0714.jpg
    DSC_0714.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,284
  • DSC_0716.jpg
    DSC_0716.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,096
  • DSC_0719.jpg
    DSC_0719.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2,026
  • Piebald.jpg
    Piebald.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,506

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
I've been feeding Phoenix worms for their high calcium. The first night I tried feeding, she had to be force fed. That jump started her appetite an she's eating them on her own with a little difficulty of course. The eye is less swelled, but it looked weird. Idk how to describe it but it is looking better. Any ideas on the frog with the weird pattern?

asfouts

Reaction score
My guess on the piebald colored one is a wood frog (Rana sylvatica) but I don't know for certain. The ridges down the back are very characteristic of the Rana family.

Good luck with the frogs I hope they make a full recovery :happy:

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
My guess on the piebald colored one is a wood frog (Rana sylvatica) but I don't know for certain. The ridges down the back are very characteristic of the Rana family.

Good luck with the frogs I hope they make a full recovery :happy:

Thank you! One of them has recovered and has been release. The other one will be released in the next couple of days. So do you think it's piebald? The other thin you can't see in the picture is it has green around the mouth do That rules out the wood frog. It's really an all aroun beautiful specimen so if I can get a video of her to show off all he strange patterns I will!

asfouts

Reaction score
From what I've read green hues around the mouth are common while the rest of the body is usually a brown variant and they also usually have a mask around the eyes. I am not sure whether your specimen is piebald or not, but it is beautiful.

I also have no hands on experience with these frogs, and parts of the description I took out of the "amphibians and reptiles of north america" field guide by the national audobahn society.

I remember Jeff Corwin talking about these guys haha. They can survive when 60% of their body water is frozen... Anyway im getting off topic

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Looks like a green frog, L.clamitans/L.melanotus. I think the color may be unusual, but "normal". The proportions and eye positions don't look right for a wood frog.

Dorsolateral ridges, BTW, are present in many families of frog, and absent in many ranids (such as bullfrogs). They are present in both wood and green frogs.

asfouts

Reaction score
Im sure that juvenile green frogs (Rana clamitans) can be mistaken for wood frogs (Rana sylvatica) but what it boils down to is key traits for that species

Rana sylvatica- dark eye mask and smaller tympanum with incomplete webbing between the hind toes

Rana clamitans- large defined tympanum with complete webbing except the outer toe which is partially webbed

The eye mask is going to be the biggest clue as to which it is, from an aerial point of view it is a complete toss up between the two species.

Source: "Amphibians of the pacific northwest" seattle audubon society (this one gives a little more of a description)

I should have worded my sentance differently in a former post. I used the dorsalateral ridges as a starting point to thumb through the rana family. I know it is not an exclusive nor an inclusive trait of Rana.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Juvenile green frogs are not likely to be confused with wood frogs, or they shouldn't be. The eyes are set differently, the head is shaped differently, and viewed from above they are quite different. The colors and patterns are radically different. That's a green frog. Wood frogs have more lateral eyes, a more..."equal" head shape, and a color which is bronze/copper or shades of brown, with a black face mask. There is basically no noticeable overlap in color between the two species. In addition, even juvenile green frogs are larger than all but giant wood frogs. I've seen a couple wood frogs of perhaps three inches, but most are more like 1.5". Green frogs often transform at 1.5-2".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1