Injured forearm/tail

haleyxfax

Reaction score
Country
United States
This morning I saw that one of my axolotl's has a messed up arm. We've never had an injury like this so I'm unsure if I should fridge him or just put up a divider in their tank until his leg heals.

For reference: we have two, they're within a month apart in age but Pupa (pictured) is a little smaller, but not by much, than the other. He's also only got two gills on one side of his head so we think he's just a little genetically challenged. They're in a 50 gallon tank, with multiple hiding spots. I checked the water quality/levels and everything seems to be okay. We're experiencing a little heat wave but have been rotating ice consistently. Last night neither seemed interested in eating, but I guess someone was a little hungry or got spooked and nipped. Haven't had any issues with aggression before.

Do you think we need to amputate the limb? Should we fridge him to promote healing? Appreciate any advice you can provide, I just feel so bad for the lil guy!

Attachments

• IMG_3705.jpeg
    IMG_3705.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 114
Ouch! Looks like a nasty injury. I notice that the end of the tail looks a bit shredded as well? Honestly, a tank divider while this one heals would probably be a good idea to prevent further injury. Amputation and/or fridging are probably unnecessary at this time; both can cause more stress than they are worth since axolotls are really good healers all on their own! That being said, keep a close eye out for infection. I would also recommend temporarily increasing your water change schedule to make sure the water is extra extra clean.

Yeah it seems like he nipped him good. They both ate in the middle of the day which is unlike them so I’m gonna up their feedings as well. We put up the divider and cleaned the tank tonight so hopefully it stays clean! Thank you :) hes acting fairly normal which is good!

Perfect! The increase in heat has probably affected their metabolisms, leading to an increase in hunger. Glad to hear that he seems to be doing all right so far!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back