Illness/Sickness: Injured newt larvae?

SalamanderQueen

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have three newt larvae that I got a few weeks ago with only half developed front legs. Two of the three grew back legs, while the third is in the process. Recently, though, I noticed one couldn't swim or move well and looked really small (the one without back legs). I looked at it closer and saw that at some point its tail had been bitten clean off and was now starting to grow back. I could tell because its back leg stubs were at the end of its body (which looked really short because of not having a tail). I also noticed one of its front legs was very strangely bent and not being used. Is it broken, or is it deformed? Its still eating but it is bad at moving and staying on the bottom of the water. I was thinking I would wait until it has back legs and a tail (so it can get around other ways) and if the front leg is still messed up I would cut it off and hope it grows back normally. Is this the best thing to do? I also really don't want to cull it since it doesn't seem like its in a lot of pain and I only have three. It is healing, but it's still concerning to see it unable to move well.

The decision is yours, but if you do decide to cut it then it is very important to make sure that you use clean tools and keep him in a especailly clean environment while it heals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back