Injury and infection

emilyskye

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a gorgeous pair of axolotls and i am constantly amazed at their interactions, i never expected them to be so affectionate to each other, but even the best of friends have their spats. the male bit the females leg at feeding time, im pretty sure it was accidently, because he actually seemed to show remorse, I think due to poor eye-sight he mistook he leg for a worm. I havent separated them and they havent had any further incidents, but the injured leg is clearly broke, and i thought it would just fall off and heal up. Yesterday she seemed better, but overnight she has developed a grey fuzzy mould over the leg. I've treated her with tri-sulphate, in a separate tank, then returned her to the tank, but should i try and amputate the leg??? i have read heaps of accounts of axolotl's dying due to fights or infection, and because i'm relatively new at keeping these critters i'm scared of doing the wrong thing.
Please help :-( i dont want to lose my little black beauty

I wouldn't jump the gun yet with the amputation but instead just do salt baths and fridge her first. Usually this is enough to fix the issue.

They both died :-( i am so sad. I cried so much and felt heap i should have amputated straight away, and kept her separate because after he hurt he we went of his food and wouold eat, and pined for her. :-( I feel like a failure. My other aquariums have always been so lucky, i think this one is cursed :( :( :( :( :( :(

I think that tri-sulphate is a fish medication - which could have made both of your axies sick when you introduced it to your tank. You should never use fish medications on your amphibians - it really is harmful to them. Its best to stick with salt baths and refrigeration.

I'm really sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose a member of the family. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back