Illness/Sickness: Injury or Tumor? Not eating...

KSpatz

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Last week I went to feed my only male Axo, Logan (he has two same age/size females to play with also who are both fine and lovely), and he refused to eat. The second time a few days later he actually walked away from the food, and still hasn't eat (it's been just over 7 days). After cleaning the tank I had a good look at him (he'd come out from under the rocks to the front of the tank) and found he has a growth on his side, above the left front limb and behind the gills. He also will not raise his head much and I haven't seen him open his mouth at all, even to gulp air, eat, or yawn. The growth also has obvious red blood vessels over it, at the apex, almost like a bruise. His melanoid spots have also seemed to become less pronounced (lighter). Does anyone have any idea what might have happened, or anything I could do to get him to open up and eat? He's not skinny yet and is moving around like he usually does, but I don't want to wait and watch him waste away if I can help him. Please also see the attatched photos from all three viewpoints.
Thanks, Kristin

Attachments

• Logan1.JPG
    Logan1.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 481
  • logan2.JPG
    logan2.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 405
  • Logan3.JPG
    Logan3.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 522
I suspect your axolotl will need a visit to the vets. Would you be able to post a few more pictures of the head area, I think there is some swelling also in the throat area. This could indicate bloat, mouth infection or even something that has become trapped in the mouth. All of which will require veterinary treatment as soon as possible.
Another point is the substrate is unsuitable for axolotl, they have a horrible habit of ingesting stones etc.

Logan's throat/mouth are a bit misshapen from having a fish stuck in his mouth for a few days. In the end I had to tackle him and use the tweezers to pry it from him and even then he tried to eat it again, so that's an old injury. The lump on the side is new. And we got the axolotles/tank setup secondhand already put together so they've been on those stones for nearly two years (and the few fish in there with them as well, which seem to have learned how not to get eaten in that time). I'll have to talk to my local petshop, there's a guy there that knows which vet in the area can handle an axolotl.
Thanks anyway
K

Don't know if anyone's still reading this one, but Logan is now also paralysed from the shoulders down. Whatever is growing on his side must be pressing on his spine quite badly.

oh that sounds horrible.

I know it's never a nice option but it doesn't sound like Logan has the best quality of life right now.

Have you considered ethical euthanasia?

Is there any possibility you can go to the vet? it certainly sounds like he need's medical treatment. There are many vets in Oz that deal with Axolotl I hope this is the same in New Zealend.

Good luck!

I only can approve to take him to a vet ASAP, as Julia told you before. He needs a medication.

Make sure you place him in a clean container of water, just enough to cover him, keep him cool and covered. And a visit to the vet is vital .

He's actually getting better, whatever the lump is/was it has opened up and there's puss coming out slowly. He can move again and has regained a bit of colour. I had to separate him a while ago because his tank mates were taking advantage of him (his arm is now in bad shape and some gills are nipped quite close, all done overnight). The general opinion I've recieved is that it's a lesion and the best/only option is disinfection, so he'll go in a salt bath as soon as I find where it says what concentration to put in (I assume I can find the info on this website or the axolotl one). He might very well pull through if I can get him to eat something soon, keep him clean and isolated so he's relaxed. And thanks for all the advice, I'll post again if things change for better or worse.

If its an open wound i wouldn't salt bath as this will hurt him.
He looks quite chunky to me what is his normal diet?
Also what are your tank parameters, Temp ammonia nitrite and nitrate.

Edit
Those stones need removing regardless of how long they have been in the tank. They will try to swallow them.
Mel

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back