Introducing more axolotls

BoristheAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I have a 33 gallon (L 70cm W 50cm H 35cm) that is currently housing my almost 4 year old male axolotl. I am thinking about getting him a friend or two if the tank will fit it. There are plenty of spaces to hide in the form of pipes and driftwood. Other people have said that I shouldn't house a female with him so I will probably get a male. What are your thoughts? Is my tank big enough for 3 and if not can two males live together on relative harmony? Thanks

I was always told for one axolotl they should be in a 20 gallon so for two it would be a 40 gallon and for three it would be 60 gallons. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I wouldn't add three to this 33 gallon just due to over crowding and not enough space maybe more chances for mistaking for food. Although it doesn't meet the minimum of three maybe two could work but in all honesty I would house two in a 40 gallon. Again I'm not an expert with housing axolotls together but when I do I give them the necessary space. I hope this helps. And good luck with getting your axolotl a new roommate!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back