Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Introducing Zeus and Fanta

C

cherie

Hi, I have been visiting this site on an almost daily basis for the past couple of months and just thought I would drop a line and introduce my wildtype axy, Zeus and my golden albino, Fanta. They are both 30cm long and have really big gills due to the fact that I live in Perth, Western Australia where keeping the water temperature below 20 degrees in summer is virtually impossible when it is 38 degrees outside. They have survived through two summers now and I keep the tank cool by dumping a 2 litre icecream container of frozen water in their tank each morning and night. From what I have read it isn't good to feed them mammallian meat however, they have been fed strips of fresh beef liver once every three days for all their life with me and as far as I can tell they are as healthy and happy as larry! They have a little clay pot each in which they sit for most of the day. They never cease to amaze me when sitting in the pots as the pots are about 15cm long and Z & F are 30cm so their tales are curled up near their heads! There is also quite a bit of effort involved in turning around in the pot, but they seem to enjoy it so who am I to complain. Well I will continue to visit the site on behalf of Zeus and Fanta who hopefully (touch wood) wont run into any problems but in the event that they do I know exactly where to find help.

Cheers for now.

L

little

That idea for keeping the water cool is a brilliant one. I live in NSW, Australia and I have exactly the same problem as you - except so far, none of mine have survived a summer. I'm continuing to try new things... one year I'll get them through a summer!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!