Invincible Foggy Water

frogenjoyer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I have had my axolotl for two years now. She has been healthy and well, but the water in the tank has been varying levels of foggy nearly the entire time I've had her. The fog must be a result of some type of algae because it gets significantly worse with light exposure but i've never seen anyone post about this type of algae. The tank is a 29 gallon tank that uses a fine sponge filter that I occasionally (once every couple months) rinse in the water I take out during water changes. The filter is connected to a 60 gallon pump. I use 40-50% Holtfreter's with MgSO4 and the levels of ammonia and nitrites have never spiked. The nitrates are also pretty low because I've used live plants like java moss, hornwort, java fern, and various floating plants. The algae still outcompetes these other plants and eventually will kill them off. I have a tank right next to the axolotl tank with blue dream shrimp that has crystal clear water. I really don't know what to do. We had a halloween party this past weekend and everyone wanted to see my axolotl because she's very friendly and social so I had my nearby lamp on for much of the day and the tank got foggier than it's ever been in just one day. It's more a cosmetic issue than anything but I really don't like it and I worry about it's long term effects. Someone please help!!

Thank you,
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_4474.jpeg
    IMG_4474.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 954
how is the holtfreters made/added, the salts/minerals need to added separately to the bicarbonate of soda as it will combine with the calcium chloride creating calcium carbonate (limescale) which will fog the water (although this is normally only temporary).
what type/make of sponge filter are you using? the filtration might not be powerful enough to trap the particles/algae.

how is the holtfreters made/added, the salts/minerals need to added separately to the bicarbonate of soda as it will combine with the calcium chloride creating calcium carbonate (limescale) which will fog the water (although this is normally only temporary).
what type/make of sponge filter are you using? the filtration might not be powerful enough to trap the particles/algae.
Hi wolfen, I do prepare them separately, like I've seen you mention before. This problem predates me even using Holtfreter's solution. It's a fairly large sponge filter (maybe 5"ish in diameter and 4" tall) with very fine sponge material. I used one with courser sponge material before, and I had the same problem then. The pump connected to it is for 60 gallons. Thank you for your response. Any help is appreciated.

I felt like when I introduced hornwort to the tank, it improved the situation, but over the last few months, the hornwort has died off and the algae has won. Maybe even more hornwort is the solution.

I found that over a period of time most plants end up dying because of the slight salinity, hornwort starts shedding then dies, some surface plants seem to last but at a slower growth rate, sagittaria tends to grow but at a slower pace (still has to be cut down every now and then), moss grows but mainly above water level (tends to grow on lip of tank), elodea tends to melt (rots away).

That has been my exact experience with each of those plants. I really don't know what else to do besides cycle a new tank, and I don't have the room to do it. Maybe replenishing the hornwort as it dies. I've tried nearly everything. I'm keeping the room dark this week and hoping that improves the situation.

try adding ascorbic acid (vitamin c) during water changes (1.25per 25 litres), ascorbic acid has been found to help plants tolerate salt water, ascorbic acid is a very mild acid which can be used to dechlorinate water (is less harmful if overdosed compared to other dechlorinators, can also be used with dechlorinators), help improve appetite in aquatic wildlife and also helps the biological filtration, another thing to try is barley straw extract which inhibits algae growth, uv lighting will also kill algae.

Have you tried daphnia? Clean your water and feed the axies. Win! Win!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back