Is everything okay? or should I be concerned?

virginia

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
La Vie
When I got my wild type axie he already had what I thought was pale slim all over his body. A week or so later he got a bit of fungus and I had to salt bath him and put him in the fridge. After a week in the fridge his fungus was gone, his appetite was back, but the grey transparent coating was still there. I do a 20% water change every other day when I feed them and do weekly ammonia/nitrate/nitrite tests. The temperature is anywhere around 64 to 68. Everything seems to be A-OK? My substrate is aquarium sand. My Lucistic axolotl and the wild type had a bit of fungus on the gills a few weeks back but it was due to my water current from the filter which is now fixed and the fungus is now gone. The pale slim is still there though... it almost looks like its due to heat stress but the temperature never goes above 70.

NOW, my wild type seems to be floating more than usual... and when I sit by the tank he'll swim up and down nonstop like I haven't fed him in weeks.

Their diet is mainly bloodworms and brine shrimp. I haven't had any luck locating live worms for sale in the Toronto area during this season.

My question is. Should I be concerned? is my temperature too high? and is 64 - 68 too much fluctuation and may cause the stress? My Lucistic seems fine, but then again shes white and I can't see if she has any greyish translucent patches. Maybe I'm an overprotective owner and I'm seeing patches when its actually just his normal skin???

Ive attached some photos. :confused:

:uhoh: am I going crazy?

Attachments

• DSC03875.jpg
    DSC03875.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC03862.jpg
    DSC03862.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC03805.jpg
    DSC03805.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 251
Your axolotl looks fine. What you're seeing is its natural slime coat.

You should definitely try to find earthworms. I've found them at Walmart fairly regularly. And I know Canadian Tire also carries them regularly. Bloodworms and brine shrimp are pretty void of calcium, so you should try to offer other foods to supply that.

Thanks Kaysie!
I've been travelling and calling quite a bit to find the worms. Went to 3 locations today and they all said they only carry around May :/ but I'm sure I'll find at least ONE location soon. But thanks for calming me down. The slim coat had me worried for quite some time now. Now I know how it feels like to be that overprotective mother! :blush:

If you're desperate, you can get some crickets from a pet shop, and gutload them with a calcium supplement. Don't dust them, as that will wash off in the water, but gutload them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back