Is it normal for an axolotl to suck/blow before eating ?

AaronLN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi got my 1st ever Axolotl today after being in and out of the pet shop for last 3 week and tank set up and cycling for a week or so. But today when i fed it a pellet it seemed to blow or suck and sand would come out his move now is it choking ? or is this normal for them to do this before eating ? feel silly asking but better to know then sit here worried

Aaron

Axolotls are 'vacuum' feeders; they suck their food in and try to spit out any debris. This is why it's important to have appropriately sized substrate.

Kaysie pretty much said it all. Be sure that any decorations in your tank are much larger than your axie's head, or else he might accidentally eat one, which makes for a very sad salamander.

Thanks for answering guys :D yeah iv got sand down and and decorations are bigger :) i was aware of them eating stuff not ment for them but was not aware they was so strong at the sucking/blowing so puts my mind at ease now

Thanks again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back