Is it possible to obtain fire salamanders after the ban ?

Springlizard

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Springlizard
I have done a lot of searching , I've probably been to 10 different pet stores and none of them had any salamanders . I have found a few online places that still sell tiger , marbled and spotted being that they are not banned species .

I have been keeping two tiger salamanders for 3 months now so I am still new to this but they are fascinating animals do I would like do add fire salamanders to the collection .

there has to be someone who breeds these animals in my state ( illinios ) but they seem few and far between.

Would it be a better idea to try to look for a different salamander species ? And if so , does anyone here breed any of the legal species ? I am willing to pay for shipping or make the drive within reason .

Wild caught Fire Salamanders (the nominate Salamandra s. s.) were generally common pre-ban or at least available seasonally. At least a few people in your state should be working with them, whether or not you can find them is a totally different issue. Given how scarce they have become you probably won't find any adults for sale. Your best bet will be this fall when larvae have metamorphosed and you can buy juveniles if anyone offers them. On the plus side there are a few accomplished IL keepers I know of and many more I don't so you should have access to a nice variety of caudate species if you choose to stick with the hobby.

Alright thanks for the information . I had read that they were one of the easier terrestrial salamander species to breed so there has to be someone who breeds them in illinios

And as far as the shipping I ment for the species that are still legal to ship .

It sure does seem like I picked the worst time to enter the hobby , although even before the ban I never saw salamanders in pet stores . Only the occasional newt

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back