Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my axi having a bloat (fluid) problem?

Ranypizzy

Reaction score
I got 2 axolotls last June (don’t know their genders). Now they are about 15cm long. My white axi started to get fat very quick for the past 4 weeks. It moves heavily and slower, but appetite is normal although the eating speed reduced a lot. The other black axi is totally normal.
Is it having health issues or it’s just the pregnancy? I can’t find a vet here so I can only try to treat it by myself. I started putting it in the fridge yesterday, hopefully may help cure the bacterial infection or constipation (if it’s the issue).
I really appreciate if someone here can help me identify it’s problem.
BBF7B92A-7CE3-450E-B332-224CA3253B7D.jpeg
01E2DE2D-C4D6-4366-92C9-48CAF90F942F.jpeg
D4401937-5F62-433D-81C6-2ACC29EE4D9A.jpeg

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Can anyone help out here, I don't know if anything is wrong. The female just looks heavy, or pregnant. I don't know. This is outside my experience.

axie owner

Reaction score
can i please see your other axy? that's a girl and she looks gravid.

Ranypizzy

Reaction score
can i please see your other axy? that's a girl and she looks gravid.
Here they are, the other axy is so so black that I don’t know if you can see it clear. But it’s been in good shape since I got it, slim and fast. Very “jumpy” with food and always enjoy hanging on things.
How long will she be pregnant? Because it’s been at least a month since I noticed her stomach was getting bigger and bigger.
CCFB9007-587D-4A5C-B2AF-9EE78BDD728A.jpeg
0B7E5DC6-7823-4F28-8917-88B613E8A569.jpeg

2031B6E4-791E-43FF-8D05-6B357C392551.jpeg

axie owner

Reaction score
that's a boy. for my axies they take about 5weeks until they have the eggs.

Ranypizzy

Reaction score
@Ranypizzy

How are things? Both still doing well?
The black one, yeah. The white one, I don’t know. Took her out of the fridge today. She still look “gonna explose soon” and move difficultly. She ate though, as soon as she’s back to the tank, but not much.
@axie owner Does she need any special things for laying eggs? I have white sands, a fake tree with leaves, a fake wood log (for hidden), some corals, small rocks all which I didn’t use since the axies were getting big so fat and occupied so much space :)
And other thing, I posted a thread about strange insects before. They looked harmless and there’re only few of them, but now they’re back, lots of them. Do you know what they are and how to keep them away? These are the pictures, they are very small, about 0.07”, with hard shell on top and soft at the bottom where they hang very tight on the glasses. They’re not eggs right (because they’re not round like eggs)?!
53F614AB-A03E-42E2-A6A0-4FAF5D1CD3F9.jpeg

axie owner

Reaction score
she will lay the eggs on the plant mostly. once she lays the eggs remove them from the aquarium and put them into a bucket and do water changes every day. that stuff on the glass looks like snails eggs or some sort of algae. i would try to scrub it off.

Murk

Reaction score
The creatures on the picture are fresh water limpets. They're common hitchhikers on plants, rocks or food from aquarium stores.

They're completely harmless, and very hard to get rid of. Once you've got them in your tank you probably won't get them out again.
All of these snails and copepods and little critters are quite good for your tank, since they help in breaking down detritus and algae.

If you see a sudden population explosion of limpets, it could be a sign you need to be more disciplined in cleaning leftover food or poop.
But even in a perfectly clean tank you'll always have a few around.

Ranypizzy

Reaction score
she will lay the eggs on the plant mostly. once she lays the eggs remove them from the aquarium and put them into a bucket and do water changes every day. that stuff on the glass looks like snails eggs or some sort of algae. i would try to scrub it off.
She still looks fat, like she’s gonna explose any second >.<

Attachments

• 87A4AD58-2E42-4DF1-A67C-4F8010E744D9.jpeg
    87A4AD58-2E42-4DF1-A67C-4F8010E744D9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 128
  • D87D1A0C-9AF4-45E3-AF04-0EB0F06114AA.jpeg
    D87D1A0C-9AF4-45E3-AF04-0EB0F06114AA.jpeg
    944 KB · Views: 146

Murk

Reaction score
Just keep an eye on her, when she lays eggs you should move them to an separate tank, so they dont eat the eggs
I doubt she's going to lay any eggs. The original post was three weeks ago - laying eggs only takes a couple of days at most after fertilisation.

Sure, it could be that she's gravid; most females constantly produce and reabsorb eggs their whole lives. However, this seems a bit much and if it's just gravidness it wouldn't be getting worse.

Could be an impaction. I see pebbles in your pictures? That's not very smart, because the pebbles will get eaten.
You should probably remove those.
When you had her tubbed, did you see any poop? Or since?

Try feeding her really really fatty food for a while, like (raw, unprocessed) salmon. Repashy grub pie is popular as well. Sometimes the fatty food will help impactions along.

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
I doubt she's going to lay any eggs. The original post was three weeks ago - laying eggs only takes a couple of days at most after fertilisation.

Sure, it could be that she's gravid; most females constantly produce and reabsorb eggs their whole lives. However, this seems a bit much and if it's just gravidness it wouldn't be getting worse.

Could be an impaction. I see pebbles in your pictures? That's not very smart, because the pebbles will get eaten.
You should probably remove those.
When you had her tubbed, did you see any poop? Or since?

Try feeding her really really fatty food for a while, like (raw, unprocessed) salmon. Repashy grub pie is popular as well. Sometimes the fatty food will help impactions along.
Ah ok, nice to know.
You should try doing what murk said!

Ranypizzy

Reaction score
@Murk those rocks are very big, they can’t swallow. Yes she pooped when I tubed her. These few days she is floating up side down sometimes when I turn off the water filter. Freaked me out at first.
I had a chance to see her butt, there’s a hole there! Is it possible that she’s gravid but somehow can’t lay eggs?
She’s still eating. I’ll try feeding her with the salmon or shrimp.
EB814E42-DDD5-4718-802C-6AF72AD00BD6.jpeg
C9AF797B-A54A-43B6-9AE6-E1181D4D8C1F.jpeg

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!