Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my axie lonely?

MangoAxolotl

Reaction score
I have had my axolotl for a few months now. its about a year old, and it seems so lonely, is there anything i can do-- regarding another axie?

Attachments

• axolotl.gif
    axolotl.gif
    524.1 KB · Views: 1,677

SamAxolotl

Reaction score
A lot of people say that axolotls don't get lonely. I personally have noticed that my little guy is always very excited to see me and loves attention. He also loves it when he's able to see my geckos. I can't say for sure that he experiences loneliness like we do, but he certainly is a social creatures and benefits from interaction.
If your axolotl is healthy and you interact with him often, I doubt he's lonely. There's no *need* for a second axolotl, but if you want a second one, that's definitely something you can look into!

wolfen

Reaction score
before getting another axolotl there are a few things to consider.
1 is your axolotl lonely or is it that the tank just looks so empty with just one.
2 can you get another that is about the same size
3 if you get another axolotl and it's a different sex are you prepared to either separate them or deal with eggs/young.
4 if one becomes aggressive to the other
5 is the tank big enough for more than one axolotl.
6 can your filtration cope with more bio-load.
I'm not saying not to get another one just think carefully before you do.

MangoAxolotl

Reaction score
A lot of people say that axolotls don't get lonely. I personally have noticed that my little guy is always very excited to see me and loves attention. He also loves it when he's able to see my geckos. I can't say for sure that he experiences loneliness like we do, but he certainly is a social creatures and benefits from interaction.
If your axolotl is healthy and you interact with him often, I doubt he's lonely. There's no *need* for a second axolotl, but if you want a second one, that's definitely something you can look into!
He is very healthy, his gills are big, and water temp is perfect! He is so happy to see me every day, but i know he is lonely because when i leave i take a look at
my cameras and he is very sad and is not smiling anymore.

MangoAxolotl

Reaction score
before getting another axolotl there are a few things to consider.
1 is your axolotl lonely or is it that the tank just looks so empty with just one.
2 can you get another that is about the same size
3 if you get another axolotl and it's a different sex are you prepared to either separate them or deal with eggs/young.
4 if one becomes aggressive to the other
5 is the tank big enough for more than one axolotl.
6 can your filtration cope with more bio-load.
I'm not saying not to get another one just think carefully before you do.
its a 20gal, and my axolotl is so small that its huge for him. we will upgrade eventually to a 50 - 70 gal when he gets 4 in. My filtiration can cope with some bio load, enough for 2 axolotls, and im not ready for eggs if my baby has any.

MangoAxolotl

Reaction score
(Which is not mango.) and it does not happen ALL the time, just when i walk in with a smile and have an aura of happiness.

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
(Which is not mango.) and it does not happen ALL the time, just when i walk in with a smile and have an aura of happiness.
Well he won't be smiling if you get him a "buddy" that turns out to be a bully. And then you'll have to get a tank divider and he'll be lonely again.😢

MangoAxolotl

Reaction score
i would try to find the best fit, buy a seperate tank and see how my other axie reacts to me and trying to put the tanks next to eachother, if i notice anything wrong, i will seperare them. today im buying my buddy for him and im going to send pics. Choose which color pls!

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
i would try to find the best fit, buy a seperate tank and see how my other axie reacts to me and trying to put the tanks next to eachother, if i notice anything wrong, i will seperare them. today im buying my buddy for him and im going to send pics. Choose which color pls!
Axanthic melanoid

wolfen

Reaction score
if you are going to be running two tanks anyway wait until they are both adults before putting them both together, this will allow you to make sure they are about the same size/sex etc.. whilst young they are very voracious eaters happily eating anything that moves including each other, whilst they are growing there is always the risk of one becoming prey to the other which can lead to lost limbs tail and even being fully devoured, once they become adults they become a lot calmer and more of a ambush predator rather than a active hunter and are happier to co-exist.
if you are upgrading the tank size once he/she gets to four inches then you will need to start cycling one asap as they grow very fast very quickly. the filtration that is required for a standard axolotl tank has to be able to cope with the equivalence of an over stocked fish tank as that is the amount of waste that can be produced once they become adults.
your ph is a tad low what are the other levels?

MangoAxolotl

Reaction score
Axolotl

if you are going to be running two tanks anyway wait until they are both adults before putting them both together, this will allow you to make sure they are about the same size/sex etc.. whilst young they are very voracious eaters happily eating anything that moves including each other, whilst they are growing there is always the risk of one becoming prey to the other which can lead to lost limbs tail and even being fully devoured, once they become adults they become a lot calmer and more of a ambush predator rather than a active hunter and are happier to co-exist.
if you are upgrading the tank size once he/she gets to four inches then you will need to start cycling one asap as they grow very fast very quickly. the filtration that is required for a standard axolotl tank has to be able to cope with the equivalence of an over stocked fish tank as that is the amount of waste that can be produced once they become adults.
your ph is a tad low what are the other levels?
thanks!

MangoAxolotl

Reaction score
Yeah, i will monitor them. I feed my axie a lot of bloodworms, pellets and other foods. Perfect sized, happy, cool dude. I just got the melanoid and he is cool. Not a bully, yet. Im going to put the tanks next to eachother and set up a camera when i get home.

MangoAxolotl

Reaction score
ok yeah i just remembered. The melanoid has a scratch on his foot when i got her. What should i do. The melanoid is 4 inches and pretty nice. I also remembered its a girl.

wolfen

Reaction score
ok yeah i just remembered. The melanoid has a scratch on his foot when i got her. What should i do. The melanoid is 4 inches and pretty nice. I also remembered its a girl.
keep the water as cold as possible and add a almond leaf. also holtfreters or modified solution should be being used anyway.
how is the tank cycled in such a short period of time?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1