Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

IS MY AXIE SICK??? HELP!!!

AlexisJG

Reaction score
Okay so my axolotls are tubbing (separately) while their tank is recycling. We are almost 3 weeks in and they were doing fine but now I am worried. There was a clear/white slime all over everything in the tubs so I got all new stuff and I’m scrubbing it clean daily when I do water changes. My Lucy looked to have a fungus but I believe it has gone away. My Mel has never had this issue but the past 2 days his gills have seemed red and tonight I completely cleaned the tubs and let them take a 100% black tea bath (separately) for 10 mins which I have done before and never had an issue. Well about 30 mins after my melanoid threw up all his food and has whitish slime looking stuff all around his neck (pictured below). Is it possible it’s not fungus but excess slime coat or protein from food? Did he throw up because he’s sick or could I have over fed him? I have new IAL’s and the API pimafix coming in this week. Their gills don’t seem to be curled too much and their tails are straight.
Please help!!

Attachments

• 32CC37FC-468A-485E-AC12-CDCBBA7E00BA.jpeg
    32CC37FC-468A-485E-AC12-CDCBBA7E00BA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
  • 754A23B2-489C-42EA-ADAF-F94830AEB2B2.jpeg
    754A23B2-489C-42EA-ADAF-F94830AEB2B2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
  • C5577790-DEF1-4968-A6A5-ADE43CD5BFD9.jpeg
    C5577790-DEF1-4968-A6A5-ADE43CD5BFD9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • CF56E409-85D2-4809-80EF-514B28ABB88A.jpeg
    CF56E409-85D2-4809-80EF-514B28ABB88A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 111
  • 2BFF052B-29C9-4ECA-B7DB-4506544613E6.jpeg
    2BFF052B-29C9-4ECA-B7DB-4506544613E6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118

AlexisJG

Reaction score
looks like a protein coating developed on the water and was disturbed - how often is water being changed?

Do not use pimafix on an axolotl.
I change the water every night around the same time. At first I was just taking the water out and putting new water in (same temp of course) and only scrubbing the tubs weekly but after seeing the slime I am now scrubbing them daily. Is this harmful to them? Should I be worried about it? Is it normal for it to happen to one more than the other?
& okay! Is there any type of treatment I could buy and use that doesn’t have to come from the vet?

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
I scrub tubs every 1-3 days with hot water and vinegar - never soap or chemicals.

Use cold water to do changes - same temp isn't a major factor for axolotls - mine actually enjoy the colder new water.

make johns solution or holtfreters solution. These are what my axo vet uses as first line. they used as a water conditioner added to tanks and tubs. when tubbing the percentage you use may be slightly higher if treating something

AlexisJG

Reaction score
I scrub tubs every 1-3 days with hot water and vinegar - never soap or chemicals.

Use cold water to do changes - same temp isn't a major factor for axolotls - mine actually enjoy the colder new water.

make johns solution or holtfreters solution. These are what my axo vet uses as first line. they used as a water conditioner added to tanks and tubs. when tubbing the percentage you use may be slightly higher if treating something
Oh wow, thanks so much! This morning he looks much better, no more whitish looking slime. I’m pretty positive it was protein coating or something like that. I will definitely try all that out, so glad I learned something. I love my babies so much. Thanks again!!

AlexisJG

Reaction score
Is your axolotl doing better?
so sorry to reply so late! yes! I have them in larger (still separate) tubs now and I have given 2 100% black tea baths. They are both eating regularly and pooping. but I somewhat think my leucy may be getting stressed because of the bubbler, do you have any recommendations on how to slow the current of it? I believe the larger tubs helped but I can tell my leucy does not really like it. Other than that they are doing well. My tank is cycling, just waiting on nitrates so they can finally go back into it and no more stressful tubbing mess! Thanks so much for responding on this post!

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
I am so unsure about those tea baths, what are they exactly for? Like, to help treat a skin ailment, right? I'm glad your axolotls are doing better. Mine got fussy for a few days and refused to eat her pellets, wanted worms, so I hand fed her pellets and now she's like "fine, I'll eat these" and walked along her tank to pick up the others. So much personality in these tiny little creatures.

AlexisJG

Reaction score
I am so unsure about those tea baths, what are they exactly for? Like, to help treat a skin ailment, right? I'm glad your axolotls are doing better. Mine got fussy for a few days and refused to eat her pellets, wanted worms, so I hand fed her pellets and now she's like "fine, I'll eat these" and walked along her tank to pick up the others. So much personality in these tiny little creatures.
Yes! Something natural in it is good for stress and their skin I have read. It’s much more mild than a salt bath so that’s why I did it. & I know right! I love them so much 🥺

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
So how do you do it? Like, get a small plastic tub, fill it up with water, add tea bags, let it slosh around, then add axolotl?

I changed my girl's tank today, fed her, now she's sitting on top her favorite piece of drift wood, attempting to be social. But her tank is still running a little warm, I can't get it any cooler than 69 degrees today, which it was 97 outside. Wish my house had AC.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Tea Bath

A tea bath is a common and strangely effective treatment for several different mild conditions an axolotl might contract. It is used for slime coat issues, fungus and mild bacterial issues.
It works by introducing a large concentration of tannin's in the water.
Method
Use only caffeinated black (or orange pekoe) tea. No herbs, flavourings, sweeteners or any other additives. Ingredients list should be only black tea.
Boil water
Add a tea bag to a clean mug
Add boiled water and steep
Cool tea completely (I put mine in the freezer because I am impatient)
Add brewed tea to the tub (containing the axolotl)
Allow axolotl to soak for up to 15 minutes.
Return axolotl to cool clean dechlorinated water.
This may be repeated up to 3 times a day for up to 3 days.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
So first, get the axolotl out and into a tub of nice, cool water? Then take a mug full of black tea, cool it down, add it entirely to the tub while the axolotl is still in it? Then after 15 minutes, return axolotl to tank? When you say soak up, does that mean the water quality will change, like the axolotl soaks up the tea, thus, there water will become clearer, indicating that the process has completed?

I am super not sure about doing that, I have only held my axolotl twice, I'm so terrified of hurting her accidentally. While this may help with skin irritation, does it stress them? I finally got mine back to normal, acting like her old self again.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
We assume you have already tubbed your axolotl if you are treating something that may need a tea bath - its not for random use
Yes add the entire mug of now cold tea minus the tea bag
After 15 mins the axolotl should be moved to a clean tub with fresh clean dechlorinated water
"soak up to 15 mins" as in they are in the tea bath for up to 15 mins - like we soak in a bath
The water will not change color, the tannins merely soothe the skin and slime coat to aide in healing

you can use a giant net but I prefer to use my hands - nets are fine as long as you dont allow them to thrash around

So first, get the axolotl out and into a tub of nice, cool water? Then take a mug full of black tea, cool it down, add it entirely to the tub while the axolotl is still in it? Then after 15 minutes, return axolotl to tank? When you say soak up, does that mean the water quality will change, like the axolotl soaks up the tea, thus, there water will become clearer, indicating that the process has completed?

I am super not sure about doing that, I have only held my axolotl twice, I'm so terrified of hurting her accidentally. While this may help with skin irritation, does it stress them? I finally got mine back to normal, acting like her old self again.

AlexisJG

Reaction score
So how do you do it? Like, get a small plastic tub, fill it up with water, add tea bags, let it slosh around, then add axolotl?

I changed my girl's tank today, fed her, now she's sitting on top her favorite piece of drift wood, attempting to be social. But her tank is still running a little warm, I can't get it any cooler than 69 degrees today, which it was 97 outside. Wish my house had AC.
Basically I boil water, make the tea, put it in the fridge until it’s cold and add water conditioner to rid of chlorine and then I put my axie in there for 5-10 mins max. I read about it a lot online and saw it in a few videos on YouTube. That’s crazy! I live in FL,USA I couldn’t imagine not having an AC I would melt.
my Mel is doing quite well, my leucy has developed fungus ): I have done tea baths but it hasn’t gotten rid of it. I have been putting IAL extract in their water and I am going to get aquarium salt today. I really really don’t want to do a salt bath but I don’t seem to have another option.. I just want my baby better ): I’m praying they are almost done tubbing, it’s been a month at the least, I’m hoping by this weekend the tank will be cycled and they finallu get their tank back and feel better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1