Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my axie stressed or sick? What can I do?

Reaction score
Hi there guys. Two days ago, I moved my 8 month old axolotl and his tank downstairs because the heat was impossible to control in my previous room. I lured him into a large Tupperware and gave him some food to munch on, then moved him over to our dining room table, where various members of my family watched him to make sure he wasn’t freaking out. He was in there for about 45 minutes, and his gills were curled forward and he kept flicking them. He also had a very messy poop, which made the water cloudy and likely contributed to the stress. Once the tank was downstairs (I had kept some of the tank water in a bucket and filled it back in after we moved it to help keep the cycle), I got the filter all set up, replanted the plants, and got him back in his tank as quickly as possible. Since then he has been hiding in his plants a lot more than usual (I don’t even have a pipe or cave because he never used it), his gills are still curled forward, and he isn’t moving very much. His gills are flushed more often than usual, and he doesn’t come over and interact with me when I come over.
He DID eat last night, and even after he ate all his pellets he was trying to eat plants and sand, and his skin and gills look fine. The only thing that has changed is his behavior... is he just adjusting to the new, cooler room? Is he still a bit stressed from the move, and just needs time? Or did he get so stressed he got sick and can’t recover on his own? This is the first time he’s been out of his tank since I got him in January, and I’m inexperienced and don’t know if I’m overreacting or not...

miola

Reaction score
If your water temperature and parameters are good, I don't think you have anything to worry about. He is probably just adjusting, and if the water temperature is significantly cooler (like 60 degrees or below) he will be less active. Being tubbed for 45 minutes won't cause him harm, they can live in small spaces with regular water changes. Just keep an eye on your tank parameters to be sure your cycle was not effected by the move and all should be good going forward. And maybe try adding a hide again, if it seems like he would like one. Hope that helps put your mind at ease.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!