Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my axolotl ok?

Stickhud

Reaction score
My axolotl has been going limp a lot lately. I tried putting him in a tub to eat, but when he went in, he went limp. Is this normal? The the tub was the same temperature and everything. There is also a grey fog in my tank. He hasn't eaten either and it's day 3!

Attachments

• 16190541894306849013688834176588.jpg
    16190541894306849013688834176588.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 145
  • 16190542287492427086962554227752.jpg
    16190542287492427086962554227752.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88

Ch4rlie

Reaction score
ok, please dont quote or blame me for this becauese im not an expert, but if i were to suggest anything, clean the water, put her in a cold area for a while, feed her a good amount, again im not an expert.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
My axolotl has been going limp a lot lately. I tried putting him in a tub to eat, but when he went in, he went limp. Is this normal? The the tub was the same temperature and everything. There is also a grey fog in my tank. He hasn't eaten either and it's day 3!
He does look a bit thin and the cloudy water could be once of a couple things so I'm going to ask for some info here to get a better understanding of your aquarium conditions:

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, pH? (if you do not have a liquid test kit, like the API freshwater master kit, please get one ASAP. this information is vital)
What is the temperature of your aquarium?
Size aquarium?
How long has she been in the tank?
When did you last do a partial water change?
What have you been feeding him? How much and how often?
Are you using any water conditioners/dechlorinators? What brand?
Type of filtration?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1