Is my axolotl stressed?

DoNotDisturb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright, I know I'm not a professional. But I have a pet axolotl and he's been alright for a while. But just recently, my mom threw away my axolotl's blackworms because she thought they were gross, and instead bought a bunch of random axolotl pellets she found online, and none of this was with me knowing. Of course, I was mad, and my axolotl hated the pellets just as much as I did. His gills started curling, and a lot of the time his gills curled extremely much more than usual. My water quality has always been good, and he's never been showing these signs before. He's been hiding a lot now, and even though I have persuaded my mother to allow me to feed blackworms to him again, my axolotl still is showing curled gills. While he's eating well, and seems alright, his gills are curled much more than normal, which I found out was a sign of an unhappy axolotl. My axolotl has always been alright before, so what in the world has happened? What should I do?
IMG_20220516_165656.jpg

Is that a picture of your little guy with curled gills? If so, it doesn't look like a stress curl. If you say he's eating well, then he's almost certainly not stressed. Inappetence usually is the first sign something is wrong.

it doesnt look to stressed. if you are concerned then maybe turning your filter flow down a little.

Is that a picture of your little guy with curled gills? If so, it doesn't look like a stress curl. If you say he's eating well, then he's almost certainly not stressed. Inappetence usually is the first sign something is wrong.
Alright, thanks! Then why would this be happening?

Yes probably either the flow, the temp, or he/she just has nice heavy gills!

to properly say whether he/she is suffering would need a much closer picture to be able to tell. from the picture that is shown he/she looks fine.

to properly say whether he/she is suffering would need a much closer picture to be able to tell. from the picture that is shown he/she looks fine.
yes, sorry, my camera isn't the best. Here is another one, if these aren't stress curls, then are there any other kinds of gills?
IMG_20220516_170819.jpg

Alright, I know I'm not a professional. But I have a pet axolotl and he's been alright for a while. But just recently, my mom threw away my axolotl's blackworms because she thought they were gross, and instead bought a bunch of random axolotl pellets she found online, and none of this was with me knowing. Of course, I was mad, and my axolotl hated the pellets just as much as I did. His gills started curling, and a lot of the time his gills curled extremely much more than usual. My water quality has always been good, and he's never been showing these signs before. He's been hiding a lot now, and even though I have persuaded my mother to allow me to feed blackworms to him again, my axolotl still is showing curled gills. While he's eating well, and seems alright, his gills are curled much more than normal, which I found out was a sign of an unhappy axolotl. My axolotl has always been alright before, so what in the world has happened? What should I do? View attachment 92620He's most likely upset about all the new changes in his life

yes, sorry, my camera isn't the best. Here is another one, if these aren't stress curls, then are there any other kinds of gills? View attachment 92642
I wonder if hiding spots could be a factor. The tank looks to be in a very bright area and I can only see the single terracotta hide for him which is pretty tiny. Maybe try getting him a bigger hide or float some duckweed on the surface and use portals so you can still feed him with tongs. Axolotls are sensitive to light so I'm wondering if all this light is making him stressed. If you feed him at night, that might be why he still eats as normal since it's going to be darker then and least stressful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back