Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my filter ok?

R

reeba

hi all, my tank is 120cm long X35cm wide X 45cm high, i have just purchased an Aqua One 302F-LV Mini internal filter, it does 450L/hr, and it has a bunch of attachments, and at the other end of the tank i have, a small air pump filter, do you think that this would be sufficient filtration for my new baby *KHALIDA* ??

J

joan

The key to filtration is to circulate the water without causing a current. I use 3 filters on mine, the two undergravel outputs and an overhang filter. As long as your internal filter doesn't cause current, it should be okay. A good rule of thumb is if the axolotls cannot stay suspended in the water without moving, or if the water causes their gills to sway back and forth, the water is moving too fast. If you look around, some people have come up with ingenius solutions to disrupting the output of their filters. One person (can't remember who, my apologies) used a large medicine bottle with numerous holes drilled in it over the output.

B

brett

450L/h? Sounds like enough capacity to circulate a small pond

R

reeba

i know thats what i thawt, my tank is some thing like 190ltrs, so obviously this little tiny filter is turning alot water, do you think it is too much?
could i maybe turn it off at night and only run it in the day or something?

B

brian

Standard tank filters are designed to completely circulate the water 5-6 times per hour, so your filter is about right (for fish, anyways). Axies probably would like a little less flow.

B

brett

You'll have to see what the flow is like when its installed. If its too fast the Axy will quickly show signs of stress.
I fitted a home-made spray bar to reduce the targetted flow - seems to do the job, Axy is out and about and up to his old tricks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1