Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my Leucistic Axolotl suffering from Red Legs Syndrome?

Potatoman

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first time posting here. Unfortunately, the Axolotl Facebook Group and Axolotl Reddit hasn't been helping me whatsoever with my potentially sick axolotl. Anyways, I just became a new Axolotl owner a month or so ago. Everything has been going fine, until my axolotl, named Skippy, jumped out of my hands when I changed him to another tub, it took a one foot drop onto the ground last Saturday. Skippy's tail was the only part of his body, that was oozing blood. He seemed to have recovered from the accident, as he was happily eating blood worms the next day. But this has drastically changed, Skippy's entire body has become pale as a ghost. I know a lot of people say it's a lack of blood flow, due to being inactive, but Skippy has been pale for a few days now, although Skippy has been eating normally.

As of yesterday, I became ridden with anxiety when I noticed Skippy's back legs had red spots, but it seemed the red spots disappeared in a few hours, so my eyes might be deceiving me.

In regards to Skippy's housing conditions, I've been keeping him in tubs for the time being, with 100% dechlorinated daily water changes, treated with API Stress Coat, the water temp stays at 60°F, until my aquarium fully cycled. Unfortunately, my fish tank got a crack in the bottom, so the water started to leak. And due to limited financial resources from being a full time college student, I have to keep Skippy in plastic tubs, until I can afford an aquarium.

Regardless, does my axolotl seem to have red leg syndrome? And if so, what can I do? Thank you!

Attachments

• 56439134_584056318764076_290006065955733504_n.jpg
    56439134_584056318764076_290006065955733504_n.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,261

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Re: Is my Leuistic Axolotl suffering from Red Legs Syndrome?

From the photo and your description I think it is okay but red leg should be diagnosed from a vet with caudate experience. If you're able to get to one it's your best choice. The redness could just be a small injury from falling but it's hard at this stage to say. How much is he swimming around? The cooler water will make him move around less thus be more pale than you may be used to. If you can bump the water up a few degrees it might bring some colour back.
What size plastic tub is he staying in?

Potatoman

Reaction score

From the photo and your description I think it is okay but red leg should be diagnosed from a vet with caudate experience. If you're able to get to one it's your best choice. The redness could just be a small injury from falling but it's hard at this stage to say. How much is he swimming around? The cooler water will make him move around less thus be more pale than you may be used to. If you can bump the water up a few degrees it might bring some colour back.
What size plastic tub is he staying in?

Thank you for the quick response. He's been dormant/lazy for a few days, but he started becoming active again today. Although I've noticed he's been walking on the bottom, more than he is actually swimming. As for the tub, I've been housing him in two gallon dishpan tubs. The ambient temperature for Skippy's water, in the basement, has always been 60°F, his gills were originally vibrant in color, even at this temperature. This is what my axolotl looked like a month or so ago.

Attachments

• 56781139_817327278646038_7614962451573899264_n.jpg
    56781139_817327278646038_7614962451573899264_n.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 239

Hayleyy

Reaction score

Okay the tubs sound great for the meantime. It is okay to keep it tubbed as long as you need to, just change the water daily. I've also seen people use airstones to keep aeration in the water though I have not done this myself.
Watch the leg for further redness. From pictures I have seen there will be a significant amount of red on it, very noticeable compared to the other legs.
Hope you see some progress soon, keep me updated!

Potatoman

Reaction score

Okay the tubs sound great for the meantime. It is okay to keep it tubbed as long as you need to, just change the water daily. I've also seen people use airstones to keep aeration in the water though I have not done this myself.
Watch the leg for further redness. From pictures I have seen there will be a significant amount of red on it, very noticeable compared to the other legs.

Will do, I'll keep you updated! Thanks for the help.

Potatoman

Reaction score

Skippy's color has returned, his gills are just as pink as they originally were! In regards to the red spots, they've disappeared. Thank you for the help, Hayley!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1