Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my tank leaking?

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have had a 20 gallon tank since last December, and I just noticed tonight a small amount of water gathering around the edges of the bottom of my tank. It is all around the tank, not a specified spot. I will wipe it with a towel and it will come right back but it’s only the tiniest bit of water. Is this a beginning to a leak? Why is it all around the bottom of the tank and not just one spot? Could it be condensation somehow? A bit worried and wondering if I can leave my axolotl in the tank over night and deal with it tomorrow or if I have to take her out.

MnGuy

Reaction score
Looks like a leak. If it was condensation you'd see droplets of water on the glass that drip to the bottom.

The water is all around the bottom either because there are multiple leaky areas, or, there's a big leak in one area and once the water puddles, it spreads out.

I would change out your tank ASAP.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, definitely a leak, or there's some source of condensation you're not seeing.

mike50

Reaction score
Owszem to przeciek nie widać bo jest mały, ale możesz dać spawaczowi a on ci spawa i będzie jak nowy :)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Owszem to przeciek nie widać bo jest mały, ale możesz dać spawaczowi a on ci spawa i będzie jak nowy :)
In English he said:

"Yes, the leak is not visible because it is small, but you can give it to the welder and he will weld you and it will be like new."

I think he means it's fixable with sealant.

stevenspear

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have had a 20 gallon tank since last December, and I just noticed tonight a small amount of water gathering around the edges of the bottom of my tank. It is all around the tank, not a specified spot. I will wipe it with a towel and it will come right back but it’s only the tiniest bit of water. Is this a beginning to a leak? Why is it all around the bottom of the tank and not just one spot? Tried to go over here, but did not find the answer. Could it be condensation somehow? A bit worried and wondering if I can leave my axolotl in the tank over night and deal with it tomorrow or if I have to take her out.
Looks like it's leaking from the bottom somewhere. It is necessary to drain the entire aquarium, remove the soil. Lay strips of paper towels on the table, set up an aquarium, pour water, and watch where the spots start to appear. Then clean the leak and fill it with sealant

Last edited:

wolfen

Reaction score
it is either a leak on the base, if you have substrate you might have to move it to find out of you could even have a hair line crack in the base.
the other cause could be condensation, if the tank is kept cooler then the ambient temperature condensation will form on the glass.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1