Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is the belly blue and bloated?

Laztlain

Reaction score
Hello,

My daughter took home her first axolotl yesterday and she is very excited!

She is also a bit worried that the look of his belly is possibly concerning. It looks to be blue in color and bloated. I've attached a few pictures.

I have read that some juvenile axolotl's have translucent skin and the blue color can simply be organs.

Do you these pics cause reason for alarm, or is what we are seeing normal?

Thank you for your help!

20220809_174515.jpg

20220809_173834.jpg

20220809_174418.jpg

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
To me, it looks like a gravid adult female though that could also be food. Did her last home have tank mates. My first concern would be that you find eggs in the tank unexpectedly.

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
I think I read if they pregnant, it will last 24 hours before they start laying. So if she's not laying by now, that can probably be ruled out.

It looks much more like a gut full of food but I could be wrong and hopefully someone more intelligent can provide response. But females do become gravid occasionally.

wolfen

Reaction score
I think by the looks of him/her that your axolotl isn't gravid as he/she is too young and still only a juvenile, lucy's and albino's tend to be semi-translucent when young and less so when older, what you are seeing is the internal organs and is normal, this is more noticeable after being fed or when the stomach is full as the organs are pushed outwards.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1