Is this a newt larva?

minorhero

Reaction score
Country
United States
Today is water change day for me and I was just finishing up when I noticed 2 critters that look exactly like what I would expect from newly hatched larva.... but my newts are too young by my understanding.

I have 2 females alpine newts in the tank that are just over a year old. My male is about 10 months old. I've seen quite a bit of tail waving from the male but I thought that was all practice...

Other possibility is that these are newly hatched celestial pearl danios that share the tank but honestly they don't look like fish and they are not behaving like fish either. Thoughts??

WKexU3t.jpg

zx6HWsl.jpg

Edit:

Just got a better 'top down' view. I guess it really is a baby newt.... I'm really surprised, I did not think these guys would be laying eggs for another year. Anyone know if I need to remove these guys for them to live or can they stay in the same tank?

cVLPO2Q.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, those are newt larva. Well fed alpine newts can easily breed at under a year old.

Last edited:
Yes, those are newly larva. Well fed alpine newts can easily breed at under a year old.
I had no idea! Thoughts on raising them intank vs setting up a new tank just for these guys?

Definitely set them up in a separate enclosure. I would use a sponge filter, half the water from the existing tank, and gravel or something from the existing tank to jump start a cycle.

You have to set up a new tank for them otherwise most if not all will get eaten. It's a lot of fun. When you move them, move the egg sack in the tank with them. That is their food for the first few days. I just hatched clutches myself for the first time. And Amelia, my eldest newt took her first steps today on land today.

Attachments

• 20210506_235430.jpg
    20210506_235430.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210331_205026.jpg
    20210331_205026.jpg
    731.4 KB · Views: 101
If your planning on feeding them daphnia or moina in a cycled tank, skip the filter as it will strip the water of live food. If your using baby brine shrimp a filter is unnecessary as you should be doing daily full water changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back