Country
Canada
Display Name
Michael

Attachments

• Country_Stone_Premium_White_Play_Sand__23281_zoom[1].jpg
    Country_Stone_Premium_White_Play_Sand__23281_zoom[1].jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 543
Play sand is generally OK. You'll need to rinse it thoroughly (in small batches, in a bucket with a hose running).

thanks but i found a guy on kijiji that sold me 60 lbs of caribbean sand for $30.

60 lbs?! That's A LOT of sand! I think you're overestimating how much sand you need in a tank. It will only take a couple of pounds to make a decent layer. You don't want it too deep (or too heavy). Unless, of course, you have a ridiculously large tank, like over 6 feet, you won't use up 60 lbs of sand in 10 years.

60 lbs?! That's A LOT of sand! I think you're overestimating how much sand you need in a tank. It will only take a couple of pounds to make a decent layer. You don't want it too deep (or too heavy). Unless, of course, you have a ridiculously large tank, like over 6 feet, you won't use up 60 lbs of sand in 10 years.

i have a 75 gallon bow front tank they guy told me i would need about 60 pounds, even the pet store said i need 1 pound per gallon, i havent gotten it yet driving out to pickering this weekend with my dad but i already pre payed

its 4 feet by 1 on the sides and 1 and a half in the middle/ or close to those dimentions

Pet stores are out to sell you stuff. I don't think you'll need 60 lbs of sand. I had two 4 foot tanks set up and still only used ~25lbs of sand. I toted that bag of sand around for years. I finally started giving it away with axolotls! You definitely want your layer of sand to be under an inch thick. Any more than that and you'll get anaerobic pockets.

what are anaerobic pockets?? i was going to fill it 2-3 inches and make the tank look like a salt water tank with lava rocks and caves and lot of plants

2-3 inches is much too deep. Anaerobic pockets are when bacteria form toxic gas in your substrate. These bubbles escape and will kill any axolotl in its way.

i did a lil reading on thhis they said if i move around the sand when i clean the tank it wont happen, is that true?

absolutely true disturbing sand will eliminate these pockets.. Ive got 3 inches in my tank and its no problem.
I dont think anyones ever actually experienced death from these pockets with an open top tank but im not positive on that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back