Definition and brief info here.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
IUCN (acronym): International Union for Conservation of Nature
Founded 1948 as the first international environmental organization, IUCN unites governments and other organizations to ensure passage of protective laws, best practices, and a unified standard of conservation worldwide.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would include a link to the organization: IUCN - Home
And add that this organization is responsible for the Red List that identifies threatened and endangered species on an international level. Does anyone know if this organization is also directly responsible for making decisions about CITES listings?

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
I Does anyone know if this organization is also directly responsible for making decisions about CITES listings?
Jen, I cannot find that IUCN is directly responsible for making decisions about CITES listings. Its influence however would seem intuative. The only direct connection between the two that I can find thusfar is that CITES was drafted as a result of a resolution adopted in 1963 at a meeting of members of IUCN. Maybe someone else knows something differently.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
IUCN: Acronym for the International Union for Conservation of Nature which was founded in 1948 and the first international environmental organization. IUCN unites governments, scientists and other organizations to ensure passage of protective laws, best practices, and a unified standard of conservation worldwide. This organization is responsible for the [Red List] that identifies threatened and endangered species on an international level. See [link to IUCN website].

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Chat Bot:
    JoyJiang has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hi guys, I was wondering if I possibly crashed my tanks cycle? I’ve had a cycling tank for months now, changing 25% water weekly. I never had any problem until a few days ago when I did a 50% water change. I did this because the tank was looking extra dirty for some reason and also I siphoned too much water out trying to vacuum the sand. I noticed since that water change, my axolotl has been hiding more, barely eating, and only moving from time to time. I checked the water perimeters and they are .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate. I normally have 0 ammonia, I haven’t had above 0 since I was first cycling the tank. Did I make an error or is this just a fluke? What should I do?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Im worried about my lil girl, she’s normally fairly active and a pig when it comes to food. Should I tub her until I figure out the tank situation? Am I overreacting lol?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Also, she is about a year old. Her tail is perfectly straight and her gills are perky (not curled forward). She’s looking perfectly fine, just acting weird
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Sorry one more thing, when I changed the water last I removed a few plastic plants that I realized were taking up too much room. Would the removal of the bacteria on the plants mess it up?
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Maybe, I’m not to sure. I’ve done lots of research when i got my baby axolot. Maybe she is just adjusting to the new tank?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    JoyJiang has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    JoyJiang has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    mavrixwk has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Robpod86:
    What can I do to help my tiger that is bloated. Been bloated for 2 months. Ty
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Tiger..?
    +1
    Unlike
  • SubZero:
    Tiger = Tiger Salamandrr its tiring to type the whole thing
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Oh ok, I dont know anything about those, I’m an axolotl owner sorry
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Urgent: My nitrates shot up to 80 ppm. I have no idea why and I’m freaking out. Should I put my axolotl in a tub????
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nioa:
    @Toothpickthelotl, I definitely would. And then do a big water change
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    @Nioa, ok, do you know why it might’ve spiked? I just did a water change a few days ago and tested all the perimeters and it was at 10 nitrate
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    i have never had nitrates so high
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nioa:
    @Toothpickthelotl, I'm not sure. :( I haven't had that happen either
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nioa:
    How many axolotls and what size tank?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    @Nioa, One adult axolotl, 20 gallon long tank
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    i noticed my axie started acting weird a few days ago, but checked all the levels and everything was fine. Checked it again today and the nitrates were skyrocketing. She’s in a tub with dechlorinated water now and I’m doing a big water change
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    She looks fine in appearance but she has been acting very lethargic and not eating unless I drop it right infront of her face
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nioa:
    @Toothpickthelotl, Ah, that tank size seems adequate. I've got no clue.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    What’s even weirder is I have a few live plants in the tank which I thought absorb nitrates. I’m wondering if maybe there’s some dead plant matter or something?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nioa:
    Oh, that could do it! The only time my nitrates got a bit high in my fbt tank is when there was a big mass of dead plant matter
    +1
    Unlike
    Nioa: Oh, that could do it! The only time my nitrates got a bit high in my fbt tank is when there was... +1