I've started my worm farm

manderkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
I received an order of European Nightcrawlers today. I tried to grow these many years ago but it didn't work out and back then I didn't realize that red worms aren't ideal which is what I used to grow. Although my Chinese firebelly newts didn't seem to mind them.

For the lids, I cut out a square with a box cutter and siliconed some fiberglass screening over it. I may cover it with cheesecloth in the summer if flying insects get in. The silicone at fish stores is pretty high, but fortunately I didn't need much. I actually had silicone in the basement but it seems to indicate it has a mold inhibitor in it so I didn't take the risk. For the substrate, I have ecoearth with most of the water squeezed out (perhaps one to two drops left per handful). I fed them a cricket gutload for now until I can get down to a feed store and see if they have AB-free chicken feed.

Forgot the pic of the worm farm. I love the little bag the worms came in. Fortunately, I also found a tub that fits perfectly under a spare rack.

Attachments

• IMG_8771.JPG
    IMG_8771.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_8770.JPG
    IMG_8770.JPG
    336.6 KB · Views: 350
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back