Just a few last questions...

inukawaii

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am finally getting my axolotl this week!!! :D His name will be Meelo (Mila if he turns out to be a she)! I just want a last few opinions on how I am doing before he arrives,

The tank has been cycling for over 2 weeks now. Over the weekend I had a problem with a white-ish film on the surface of the water, so I did a water change yesterday. I got a pH, ammonium and nitrate tester and I'll test the water tomorrow. I got the Reptisafe water conditioner from Zoo-Med which says it helps build slime coats. Anything else I will need? I attached a picture of my tank. Any suggestions?

Also, is Melafix safe if he gets a fungal infection? I already have some for my betta, and I want to make sure if it will be safe for an axolotl. Can I use it as a preventative? I add a little when I do water changes for my betta, since he tends to destroy his fins and I don't want him to get fin rot.

I have frozen bloodworms already in the freezer and I'll get earthworms when he gets a little bigger.

Last, how should I introduce my new little guy to his tank? I've seen varied info out there on the web. He will be about 2.5-3 inches. Should I introduce him like a fish?

Thank you for the help. This forum has been very helpful!

Attachments

• IMAG1701.jpg
    IMAG1701.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 220
Hey!
When I had my tank set up, before I added my axy, I had the film as well. I'm not sure what it is, but once I added my axy it went away! Good idea to check all the levels before you put your new little guy in there.
I'm not sure about using medication to fix fungal problems. As far as I know salt baths and fridging are the best methods (there's some really great threads on here showing how to do this properly). Fungal infections can occur when the temperature is too high, so make sure you've got a thermometer in there to keep a check on it! Whether the melafix is safe or not, I wouldn't just add it to the water as a preventative (unless others here think it's okay?).
I would feed him earthworms at that size. The earthworms I get over here from pet stores are actually pretty small (thin, and only a couple of cm long), so I'm not sure what it's like over there. I feed my girl bloodworms, but only every now and then (e.g. once a week) in addition to earthworms, pellets and the occasional cricket or two. Earthworms really are the best in my experience.
Normally I would keep them in their bag, in a fixed place in the tank, for about 20mins or so, so yes similar to fish :)

Goodluck! Looking forward to seeing pictures!

The tank looks good but I would remove all the larger pebbles before they become a problem. They are perfect size for swallowing & as they grow fast it won't be long before they could get nommed.

Also I've found they like hides that are lower like a tunnel but not do much height above them :)

Can't wait to see the tank occupied!

<3 >o_o< <3

Thank you everyone! I'll post pictures when he comes :)

I'll make a run to get a thermometer and some small earthworms. Do you drown the cricket?

I have a old fish tank filter (its the black blob in the in the back of the tank behind the pot). It was in my 2.5 gal tank before I got a wonderful external filter on amazon. I have it at the lowest setting, so not much water movement. It's a pretty lame filter.

Maybe I can break the pot in half....that will make it lower.

Thank you everyone! I'll post pictures when he comes :)

I'll make a run to get a thermometer and some small earthworms. Do you drown the cricket?

I have a old fish tank filter (its the black blob in the in the back of the tank behind the pot). It was in my 2.5 gal tank before I got a wonderful external filter on amazon. I have it at the lowest setting, so not much water movement. It's a pretty lame filter.

With the crickets, I put them in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes (not too long or they'll all die. You could put one or two in a separate container and keep them in the freezer, to avoid them dying if you leave them in for too long-happened to me yesterday-. It's the most humane way for the little guys. They basically fall asleep).
If you break the pot, make sure the sharp bits aren't sticking out. You could get an aquarium sealant and apply to the edges if they are :)

I broke my pots and all three of my 'lotls prefer the two that are lowest to the sand.

Attachments

• user25877_pic27235_1362119131.jpg
    user25877_pic27235_1362119131.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,976
I broke my pots and all three of my 'lotls prefer the two that are lowest to the sand.

I cut up an old bucket & covered it in silicone & pebbles - it's really low & the most popular hide :D
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362554116.416820.jpg
3 shoved inside it!

<3 >o_o< <3

What a great idea! Just make sure none of those rocks get loose :)

It's the best way to use up gravel & pebbles not suitable for lotls ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362559505.363630.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362559539.031116.jpg

There's a DIY hides thread full of good ideas :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Those pictures are absolutely adorable!!!

I tried to do this tank as cheaply as I could....that whole being in college thing...so the terra cotta pot seemed the cheapest way. I love those DIY hides, but is sealant expensive?

A tube of silicone is about $7 & the caulking gun you need you can get the super basic ones for $3-5 so not too bad depending how tight your budget is :)

I've gotten most of my tanks 2nd hand & really cheap or free like my 6'ft tank :D so I've been lucky to feed my addiction cheaply(ish! - I'm down to 5 tanks after having 7 going) lol :eek:

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back