Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

just a few photos of round two T. gran breeding

audrey

Reaction score
the eggs in the container on the left are Taricha granulosa
momma with some eggs
parents
some of the juvies from last time

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 352
  • moma and eggs.jpg
    moma and eggs.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 375
  • parents.jpg
    parents.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 332
  • granbabies.jpg
    granbabies.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 355

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Audrey, thats great! So what sort of "priming" did you do prior to them breeding? If I recall, you left them in natural light last time, right? What are your temps?

Jake

Reaction score
Great work Audrey!

It's good to see a native species being bred by a native person, a lot of people have these newts in their care, but very few are successful like this.

Keep it up!

audrey

Reaction score
Well actually this time I did no prepping at all. I actually moved them into my newly constructed basement where the temps are considerably lower but there is little to no sunlight. They have just continually mated off and on since this summer when she laid her last round of eggs. I have no idea what it is that is making them breed. I just figure they like each other!

audrey

Reaction score
one more

this is just a fun shot of one of the juvies, but it shows how intense their eyes are!

Attachments

• littleguy.jpg
    littleguy.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 318

lilsoul

Reaction score
nice pics I have 2 of your juives that I got from axolotl jake and they are doing great. Keep up the good work

audrey

Reaction score
Here is a nice photo of moma in action!

Attachments

• tgranmomalaying.jpg
    tgranmomalaying.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 330
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1