Just curious: How often do you feed?

SnakeDancer

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tend to feed all my amphibians on a Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule, and then give them (and myself) the weekend off. (Though I clean cages on the weekend, so I don't actually get time off... ;) ) Just curious how often everyone else feeds their newts?

I feed my Tylototriton verrucosus adults twice a week, although extra portions when they are breeding and using up more calories. The larval verrucosus are fed daily, and the juveniles every other day. My Hynobius dunni are fed weekly, but that consists of throwing in lots of worms and assorted inverts for them to much on in their own time.

Chris

I feed my adult triturus dobrogicus 3-4 times a week right now and the larvae daily to twice daily.

I feed all my salamanders 2-3 times a week. Saturdays when I get back from fishing as I always collect some bugs mostly centipedes, termites and assorted beetle larvae. Then earthworms and mealworms newly shed and white in color on Wednesday. Anyone I see wondering around their tanks on off days I'll feed. I figure they are hungry and out looking for food. I don't want any obese salamanders or newts

Every other day for larvae and 1-3 times per week depending on species.

I feed also 1-3 times a week. Sometimes I skip a week feeding, sometimes I feed almost daily.

In my opinion newts don't eat on regular basis. In the wild there isn't a meal that comes hopping by every 2 days at the end of the day. That's why I like to variate.

Larvae - Mostly once a day. Sometimes twice a day. Sometimes skip a day.

Juveniles I seed the tanks of ones on land with isopods, springtails, white worms etc. I feed twice a week with small crickets, fruit flies, chopped earthworms, pea beetles, etc.

Juveniles in water get fed 2 to 7 times a week.

Adults twice a week seasonally adjusted.
I watch how much they eat and adjust a little.

It's generally fine to skip a feeding or two every now and then. Don't skip to many feedings with larvae or young axolotls. They will feed on each other.

I feed my caudates two to three times a week, unless I am trying to but some weight on an animal, then I feed three to four times a week.

about once a week, but a good bit, like 1/3+ their body weight

hi
I feed my female axolotl half a cube of a defrosted beef heart every other day with a couple of pellets every now and again.

brad

It's generally fine to skip a feeding or two every now and then. Don't skip to many feedings with larvae or young axolotls. They will feed on each other.

If my adult T. verrucosus don't get fed on time, they start getting vicious towards one another too.

I feed my juvie cynops ensicauda every day. They are still acclimating to their new terrestrial home. I am blackworms every day, FF Every other day, and spring tails every other day. As they get bigger or I can switch to chopped earthworm I will cut the feedings back.

i feed my axolotls twice daily if i dont they eat each other lol even tho they are about 20cm they love there food they get half a frozen blood worm cube each meal and a couple of pellets i now sell my own pellets and stuff its great they really healthy too now problems with growing back limbs or anything

I feed my adults twice a week and juveniles more often, depending on the particular stage of development.
Chip

Twice a week and they seem to thrive.

Anything under 1.5 inches gets fed whenever it comes to mind (Usually once or twice a day.)
Anything over that gets fed as much as they want Monday-Wednesday-Saturday.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back