Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just double checking this is fungus

connorsbala

Reaction score
Is this fungus on its bottom left gill?
DSC01523.jpg

connorsbala

Reaction score
OMG im soo happy! :D Do you think i should continue doing salt baths for a few more days? Im happy now :D I was wondering why he was sooo active nad eating while i THOUGHT he had fungus lol cause they usually go all quiete and dont eat right?
Actually when the lights go out and i turn the light on in my room the patches on his tail look the same as the ones on his gills there.
That pic is from when i first got him so it must be his natural marings otherwise he'd have had fungus all this time lol!
Awww poor thign im so happy yet i feel so guilty for putting him in salt baths and methylene blue baths for the past 2 weeks....i shouldve known as there were no signs of improvement!
Is everyone else sure that this is natural markings? Thanks a trillion kaysie!

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Does it look fuzzy or slimy, or raised in any way? Has it changed at all since you've noticed it? Try gently rubbing at it with a cotton bud to see if it comes off.

It does look like natural coloration to me. Mine also have the same 'patches' on their bodies.

connorsbala

Reaction score
Does it look fuzzy or slimy, or raised in any way? Has it changed at all since you've noticed it? Try gently rubbing at it with a cotton bud to see if it comes off.

It does look like natural coloration to me. Mine also have the same 'patches' on their bodies.

No it isnt fuzzy or slimy. No it hasnt changedx since ive noticed it...and as i used that pic from when i first got him, it hasnt changed since then either. I thinki it is as when the lights go off and i put on another light it loos bronzy

connorsbala

Reaction score
I dont get ti! WHen i brushed it with an ear bud, it didnt flake off. When the aquarium lights are on it looks white but when they go off it turns bronzy! Im soooo confused! NOt sure if its fungus or not as there hasnt been any signs of improvement yet!
Can anyone show me any pics of fungus?
Ill continue doing salt baths for a few more days just to make sure ;)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If it didn't flake off, it's NOT fungus. It is almost sure natural coloration. The 'patches' will change color depending on how light is reflecting off of them. Think of it as a beauty spot.

I would discontinue salt baths. If it didn't come off when rubbed, it's not fungus.

connorsbala

Reaction score
Cool, it most definetly didnt flake off when rubbed. Its starnge that its white with lights on....like fungus would be!
Glad to know it isnt fungus! Thanks for your help :D

xxvickyxx

Reaction score
I have golden albino axolotls, and all along their tails you can see what looks like little flakes inside that catch the light. I think what your wild type may have is some of this reflective pigment, which is totally normal and cool if your wild type has some! This would explain the way it changes with light.
The sentence below explains this in detail.

The colour of axolotls is dependent upon pigment cells called chromatophores. These cells are melanophores (containing eumelanin, a black-brown pigment), xanthophores (containing carotenoids and pteridines, yellow and reddish pigments) and iridophores (containing crystalised purines, which impart a shiny iridescence).

I hope this helps and puts your mind at ease!

Solar

Reaction score
Could you tell me if my axie has fungus had my water tested said everything was fine bur someone said he has fungus his pigment hasnt changed since i got him and what type is he if hes wild type is this a usual pgment for a wild type

Attachments

• received_357536761654021.jpeg
    received_357536761654021.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 256
  • received_289942821621729.jpeg
    received_289942821621729.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20180908_213118_353.jpg
    IMG_20180908_213118_353.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 219
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!