Juvenile Axolotl Not Pooping?

ryanwx

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

I am a first time axolotl owner and just received my baby (Pebbles) last Thursday, 1/26. He/she has been eating regularly since Friday evening (2-3 pellets/day), but I have yet to find a poop in the tank.

Pebbles was also pretty active Friday-Sunday exploring the tank and swimming around a lot, but has spent most of yesterday and today just hanging out in their hide not moving much.

From the research I've done, adults typically go ~once a week, but also eat less frequently. How often is normal for juveniles to poop?

Pebbles was also fasted for 96 hours prior to being shipped on 1/24, so they went a bit without eating. Could that be part of the delay?

Background info:
Pebbles was hatched 9/18/22 and is currently ~4". I tested the water this morning and everything was 0ppm. Water temperature has been between 63-66F. The tank has no substrate in it. Only food has been axolotl pellets from Invert Aquatics.

Am I just worrying myself for no reason or do I need to consider fridging?

Thanks in advance.

check your filter for muck and nitrates for increase, if your filter is doing a good job then it may be removing any trace of fecal matter which provided the tank is cycled properly will cause an increase in nitrates.

Pebbles finally pooped yesterday (and again this morning).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back