Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Kaiseri puppies =)

Linus

Reaction score
So I've already shared this with those of you I talk to more frequently, but I just wanted to share my new little family with you guys.

I replicated the parameters they were being kept at by the breeder, 4 inches of water, slightly high ph, with a temp range of 58-62 degree water.

I was immediately concerned that 2 out of 4 looked a little skinnier than I'm comfortable with, and they're veryyy skittish at this point. I've been offering frozen bloodworms daily, and attempting to offer live waxworms but they don't seem very impressed with those. I do notice they become active almost immediately after turning off the lighting in the room.

Anyway they've been settled in about 5 days now, and I'm very happy to have these little guys. They're about two inches long, probably around 6 months old I'm guessing?

Also I've enclosed pics of the new tetra whisper I'm using to filter this four inches of water, and I'm noticing it produces a lot of bubbles- it looks like it's frothing before the the water is actually expelled over the lip and into the tank. I'm not used to these types of filters, is this how they normally look? The water has been cycling for months and all levels are normal, and I've also taken to small daily partial water changes (due to me presenting them with bloodworms several times a day in attempt to fatten them up a bit.)

Any constructive criticism welcome! Thanks for your time everyone :kiss:

Attachments

• IMG_20110105_211358.jpg
    IMG_20110105_211358.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_20110105_211404.jpg
    IMG_20110105_211404.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_20110105_212413.jpg
    IMG_20110105_212413.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_20110105_212422.jpg
    IMG_20110105_212422.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_20110105_211511.jpg
    IMG_20110105_211511.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_20110109_153746.jpg
    IMG_20110109_153746.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_20110109_153801.jpg
    IMG_20110109_153801.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_20110109_153810.jpg
    IMG_20110109_153810.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 393

Davo

Reaction score
I would leave off the frozen bloodworm and try some live food, maybe whiteworm,lge brineshrimp,daphnia, small earthworms.
I would be tempted to keep them in a small terrestrial set up, something simple like a platic tub with very good ventilation and a cork bark stack and a water bowl. You could then also feed them small crickets dusted with multivitamins.
Some of them look very skinny, i think the sooner you get some good live food in them the better they will be.
I am not a big fan of frozen bloodworm, ok for an emergency but not a staple diet.

FRANCOIS

Reaction score
Looks like a good start to me. I would place some limestone rocks in the tank to keep a nice constant high PH, maybe a few more plants? I have a semi-aquatic set-up, the newt is mostly terristrial during the day and goes to hunt for food in the evening hours...

Linus

Reaction score
I would leave off the frozen bloodworm and try some live food, maybe whiteworm,lge brineshrimp,daphnia, small earthworms.
I would be tempted to keep them in a small terrestrial set up, something simple like a platic tub with very good ventilation and a cork bark stack and a water bowl. You could then also feed them small crickets dusted with multivitamins.
Some of them look very skinny, i think the sooner you get some good live food in them the better they will be.
I am not a big fan of frozen bloodworm, ok for an emergency but not a staple diet.

Ordered some of Dawn's WhiteWorms this morning :], hoping they will like these. Like I said they have no interest in the live waxworms, but I'll find something they like. Going to try dusted pinheads tonight. There were two skinnies in the group I received and those pics were taken the day of arrival, they're looking MUCH better now just due to the bloodworms but they are so hard to photograph as they're always hiding and I'm trying not to stress them out. I'm also not a fan of bloodworms as a staple diet. I did a checkup on everyone this morning and all had fat little bellies :wacko: However I do want to offer them a good variety.

Anyone know a good blackworm supplier in the US?

Also Davo I do appreciate the convenience of keeping them terrestrial at this size, but I'd rather replicate how they were being kept before and still offer them the option choosing between aquatic/terrestrial. They seem happy!

woodsman

Reaction score
I have been feeding my N. kaiseri aquatic turle food hatchling size pellets (the ones I use are made by Zoo Med). They have been eating this diet for a year now and are very healthy and recently started breeding. They seem to really like eating this food off the surface.

Good luck with them, Richard.

ummi

Reaction score
AW: Re: Kaiseri puppies =)

Hello Linus,
my kaiseri prefer plenty of freshwater shrimps and mosquito larvae. The female has 5.91 inches and is wonderful coloured,
they also need very brigth but also very dark to place,
ummi

Attachments

• Neurergus Kaiseri 1,1.jpg
    Neurergus Kaiseri 1,1.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 2,720

ummi

Reaction score
AW: Re: Kaiseri puppies =)

breeding 2010,
ummi

Attachments

• NZ2010.JPG
    NZ2010.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 404
  • NZ2010a.JPG
    NZ2010a.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 406

Linus

Reaction score
Re: AW: Re: Kaiseri puppies =)

Moved my 6 Kaiseri terrestrial last night, prompted by an escapee I found down a flight of stairs and 30 feet from the aquatic tank, which blew my mind. It's unfathomable what Kaiseri can do when they put their mind to it. The terrestrial setup can be referred to as Alcatraz.

I'll update this thread regarding signs of maturity and their new terrestrial experience periodically.

Wishing everyone the best of luck with theirs this season!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1