Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping plants alive in axolotl tank? Any SAFE fertilizer?

Leafy

Reaction score
I currently have 3 girls in my large tank, along with some various live plants. But despite having 3 axolotls, their waste doesn't seem to be enough to keep the plants alive???

One plant species I can't remember, but the others are an amazon sword, water lettuce, duckweed and hornwort - I think I took too long making a moss wall, so I don't blame it for going completely brown on me. I think I had anubias at one point, but that didn't work out at all either, so I had to take that out.
I'll also add that I did recently get a tank light along with the floating plants (bar the hornwort) to see if that would help, but nothing's really perking up. The mystery plant and amazon sword are particularly struggling, and I've had a few yellow leaves on the water lettuce already (though I've had some baby plants sprouting, so there's that).

Whilst I have a backup plan - is there any way I can safely use a plant fertilizer in the axolotl tank? Or is it going to be a case of cycling plants between the axolotls and a separate planted tank I'm going to set up? My axolotls are the most important thing in their tank of course, but I'd also like to disturb plants as little as possible, especially if they're delicate (which is funny to mention, considering some axolotls are serial plant-squishers anyway).

I've ordered an EI starter kit (this thing) to feed the plants in the planted tank - is this going to be ok, perhaps at a lesser frequency or strength, in the axolotl tank? Is there maybe an alternative anyone would suggest that they know is safe with axolotls? I admit I wouldn't know what to look for, so I'd rather ask and stick to my backup plan unless I know otherwise.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
I currently have 3 girls in my large tank, along with some various live plants. But despite having 3 axolotls, their waste doesn't seem to be enough to keep the plants alive???

One plant species I can't remember, but the others are an amazon sword, water lettuce, duckweed and hornwort - I think I took too long making a moss wall, so I don't blame it for going completely brown on me. I think I had anubias at one point, but that didn't work out at all either, so I had to take that out.
I'll also add that I did recently get a tank light along with the floating plants (bar the hornwort) to see if that would help, but nothing's really perking up. The mystery plant and amazon sword are particularly struggling, and I've had a few yellow leaves on the water lettuce already (though I've had some baby plants sprouting, so there's that).

Whilst I have a backup plan - is there any way I can safely use a plant fertilizer in the axolotl tank? Or is it going to be a case of cycling plants between the axolotls and a separate planted tank I'm going to set up? My axolotls are the most important thing in their tank of course, but I'd also like to disturb plants as little as possible, especially if they're delicate (which is funny to mention, considering some axolotls are serial plant-squishers anyway).

I've ordered an EI starter kit (this thing) to feed the plants in the planted tank - is this going to be ok, perhaps at a lesser frequency or strength, in the axolotl tank? Is there maybe an alternative anyone would suggest that they know is safe with axolotls? I admit I wouldn't know what to look for, so I'd rather ask and stick to my backup plan unless I know otherwise.
i’d really just suggest getting java ferns or crested java ferns. anubis works well too, most other plants don’t do well in low light and low temp conditions, and they are very hardy for axolotl squishing. i’d recommend frogbit as well :)

Leafy

Reaction score
i’d really just suggest getting java ferns or crested java ferns. anubis works well too, most other plants don’t do well in low light and low temp conditions, and they are very hardy for axolotl squishing. i’d recommend frogbit as well :)
I'll try with anubias again after it's had time to grow in the planted tank - I've already ordered some (nana variety), along with bucephalandra 'wavy green'. :)

Gonna have to get my hands on some java fern when I can find it - seems that, along with the popular type of java moss, is out of stock everywhere. o_O

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
I'll try with anubias again after it's had time to grow in the planted tank - I've already ordered some (nana variety), along with bucephalandra 'wavy green'. :)

Gonna have to get my hands on some java fern when I can find it - seems that, along with the popular type of java moss, is out of stock everywhere. o_O
if you didn’t live in the UK i’d 100% give you some plantlets growing off of my java fern and crested java ferns ;(
i suppose you don’t have petco in the UK do you?

Leafy

Reaction score
if you didn’t live in the UK i’d 100% give you some plantlets growing off of my java fern and crested java ferns ;(
i suppose you don’t have petco in the UK do you?
We don't over here - but mentioning that has reminded me we have Pets At Home, so thank you! I completely forgot as I prefer the local pet store when I can (since the one near me cares a damn sight better than other places I've been to, although not perfect).

Just looked on the PAH site and they actually have the specific type of moss I'm after, and the java fern - although it's the narrow one, not the normal variety. Still, I need a lot of plants to get the planted tank going, considering it's approximately the same size as my axolotl tank. :ROFLMAO:
I'll keep an eye out for the frogbit - definitely wanting more floaters.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
We don't over here - but mentioning that has reminded me we have Pets At Home, so thank you! I completely forgot as I prefer the local pet store when I can (since the one near me cares a damn sight better than other places I've been to, although not perfect).

Just looked on the PAH site and they actually have the specific type of moss I'm after, and the java fern - although it's the narrow one, not the normal variety. Still, I need a lot of plants to get the planted tank going, considering it's approximately the same size as my axolotl tank. :ROFLMAO:
I'll keep an eye out for the frogbit - definitely wanting more floaters.
good luck! happy you found somewhere that’s responsible (well, more so than most)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1