Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Kingoom Cynops

salatriton

Reaction score
Hello guys .. this is my tank of Cynops. is it ok? .. What I could put in more

Attachments

• DSCN0302.jpg
    DSCN0302.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 608

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Kingodm Cynops

I would add more live plants, given the choice pyrrhos like to hang out in dense vegetation, especially the females, it's somewhere they can go to escape from the male's constant courting behaviour at this time of year.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score

The land area seems like a waste to me tbh. All the Cynops/Hypselotriton newts I have any knowledge about are basically fully aquatic. Under the right conditions they should be fully aquatic and should hardly ever if ever leave the water at all.
Do you know what specie you have?

markusA

Reaction score

I agree that it is possible to keep many Cynops species aquatic whole year around but some like to have a rest on land from time to time. cyanurus and orientalis are the "most aquatic": adults and metamorphed juvies do fine in densely planted aquaria, but fudingensis and orphicus like to go on land regularly (I have experience only with Chinese species).
But I could imagine all species of Cynops have a terrestrial phase in their habitat, most probably during hibernation in winter.
But this is a guess, I do not know ecological publications about Cynops.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score

It is o.k. I would be afraid the land area will become saturated and anaerobic. For most of my totally aquatic newts I put a cork bark float in or a couple small pieces of cork bark stacked.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

The terrestrial part is a waste of volume...and i also think it's a matter of time before that depth of substrate starts being a problem. Furthermore, it is complete useless as it appears in the picture as it is way too dry to be used by the newts at all. It's just taking up space.
The newts would be perfectly fine with a piece of cork bark, which they are unlikely to use for any significant length of time.
I would also say the tank needs a lot more plants...A LOT, and variety is always a good idea. Anubias grow so slowly that they are very inefficient.
Is it just me or are there two different species of newt in there?

Stupot1610

Reaction score

The terrestrial part is a waste of volume...and i also think it's a matter of time before that depth of substrate starts being a problem. Furthermore, it is complete useless as it appears in the picture as it is way too dry to be used by the newts at all. It's just taking up space.
The newts would be perfectly fine with a piece of cork bark, which they are unlikely to use for any significant length of time.
I would also say the tank needs a lot more plants...A LOT, and variety is always a good idea. Anubias grow so slowly that they are very inefficient.
Is it just me or are there two different species of newt in there?

I think I can see both C.pyrrhogaster and H.orientalis in there?

Stuart

salatriton

Reaction score
could you give me a link with a guide to the exact construction of an aquarium for salamanders with the exact part emerged.
are three ensicauda ensicauda

crawdaddy

Reaction score
from my knowledge an experience, land should be minimal in cynops enclosures. the ones i keep have only floating plants, but no solid land structure. they are thriving and rarely even venture close to the top preferring to climb in the jungle of submerged plastic plants.

salatriton

Reaction score
Hi guys, I followed your advice and changed the structure of the tank. look at the picture, what do you think?
amxick.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!